Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • walking to work – comfortable waterproof work shoes recommendations please
  • surazal
    Free Member

Admittedly a massively boring subject. My work shoes are just about worn out (Clarks Gore-tex things) and I need to replace them. Any recommendations? I either cycle or walk to work (5 mile round trip + sometimes 3 mile walk to escape the office at lunch) so my criteria is:
    Comfortable
    Reasonably grippy
    Waterproof
    Smart enough for an office (though not too smart, we don’t have a dress code as such)

I’d happily get something a bit ‘outdoorsy’ but not seen anything suitable in Blacks/Go Outdoors. Anyone care to contribute on this riveting subject?

Cheers

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Won’t something Merrrell be suitable?

surazal
    Free Member

They’re a bit too trainer-y tbh. If they were all black they’d probably be ok

woody2000
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Doc martins?

surazal
    Free Member

Calrks are the default, I’ve had 2 pairs. First pair were great, second (current) pair are ok but haven’t lasted ad well (no grip left at all).

TJ – I think DMs might be a bit ‘clunky’, I’ll have a look though

Cheers

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh ones I wear are like these.

jam-bo

leave some smart shoes in the office and wear whatever you like on the walk.

I have to wear ESD shoes at work so leave them under my desk.

Martin.B
    Free Member

If its got to be waterproof then…

mattsccm
    Free Member

Try Rohan or Brasher

loddrik
    Free Member

Clarks goretex things should fit the bill. Rockport and Timberland do some decent goretex things too.

simon_g

I have a couple of pairs of Timberland shoes I got from one of the outlet malls in the states that have been superb. I walk quite a bit and they’re lasting great, takes lot of rain to get wet feet (so much that my trousers and everything else will be soaked anyway) and have been comfy from day 1.

Can’t see the ones I have on their site any more but they have a few similar ones that are suitable for smarter wear.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Timberland vote from me also. Have boots (from “Smart” range) and all black trainery type shoe things from them also, both pairs 100% waterproof for me, boots pretty old now, they re-heel/sole well.
    Outside a lot in job, the black shoes were amazing last winter – bought direct from website in sale. Bought 2 pairs, avoided shipping charge, free to return the pair that didn’t fit…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

How about the 29er equivalent of the shoe world.?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What about a pair of outdoorsy trainers / approach shoes for the walk and a separate pair of plain work shoes that you leave at work.

Proper shoes for each task and you’ll spend less time cleaning your work shoes as you’ll not be wearing them on your commute.

midlifecrashes

The Americans are better at this sort of thing than us, I’ve had a succcesion of pairs of Florsheim, bought when over there, but there should be Rockport and the like to suit available over here.

GTDave
    Free Member

Definitely not Merrells. They are the only brand of shoes I have ever come across that stink of horse-shit straight out of the box!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘walking to work – comfortable waterproof work shoes recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.