Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Walking in central Italy?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone been? I did try before but got no answers but I cannot believe STW has no one who knows owt about this 🙂

WE are heading off for 2 weeks walking / trekking in the central Apennines – Aiming to stay in the mountain huts and villages not to camp. Anyone got any info to help us plan a route? Flying into Rome but getting the train / bus up into the hills.

Ta

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No one?

Is this the thread that beats STW?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you’re staying in CAI refuge huts, then look at joining the AAC(UK) which will give you reciprocal hut discounts and reasonable mountaineering insurance.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Directory of the CAI huts It appears to be offline at the mo. They will probably list tarrifs at each hut, so you can work out costs. It won’t be a comprehensive list because some huts on your routes might be privately owned (or not owned by the CAI).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta for that – we have guide books and maps and some rough routes worked out. Looking for peoples experiences of the area

bikemad67
    Free Member

TandemJeremy- Go to Monti Sibilli. Theres a few walks to do to get you into it and then some really long ones as well. GAS is a circular trail around the park that stops at refugios along the way.
    Biggest recommendation is the refugios- they give you mammoth meals including boar with is a local speciality (theres alot of stuffed ones around.)

You can walk straight out of any village or mountain hut onto a route and in terms of food its not too bad but if you can rent a car then do so- its the only real way to get to some villages and walks (such as the Gorge of Hell- which is anything but)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bikemad – ta muchly.

We are thinking of doing the GAS route in Monti Siblini and adding bits on to it. Good one you say? Maybe doing the main ridge / highest point as well.

No car as the intent is to spend the entire fortnight on foot exploring the area

heading off in a couple of weeks time – hope all the refugios are open ( but I believe they have winter rooms and we will have sleeping bags and emergency food)

bikemad67
    Free Member

I went in the summer and was fine, some of the smaller refugios are closed but Refugio Alpini and the next one along were v busy. Book if you can- so they can get enough food and water (they get it delivered- don’t know why they don’t use the spring water). Can get nippy at night (even if in Rome you are sweating like a pig) so take a fleece liner- camping isn’t permitted officially but putting the tent up at sunset and down at sunrise is generally fine.

Didn’t do all of the GAS route- just circular walks around casteluccio but the whole area is awesome. Learn a bit of Italian if you haven’t already as its not touristy at all (which is why it’s so appealing).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If all the huts you want to use are open, you just need a sleeping bag liner to use with the blankets and pillows provided. Also, they generally like you to phone ahead and book (that morning would usually be enough). Often, if you just turn up, they are a bit grumpy with you for not booking, but probably won’t turn you away. When that link works^ there will be dates for when each hut opens for the season.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ta again

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I know the area well having walked and cycled many of the routes over the last 7 years and you’ll love it! It is very quiet especially this time of year and you’ll find that the big mountains will still be covered in snow which might make things a bit trickier (and there has been quite a few deaths due to the snow) so be careful when choosing your route. The GAS should be snow-free though. I would be quite surprised if all the rifugios are open so it really is worth while phoning ahead.

To do this trip without relying on a car is very brave as it is so quiet, but we’ve been lucky a couple of times and managed to get lifts by friendly locals and the locals are very friendly indeed.

And two weeks ago when we were there it was freezing cold! Especially up in the hills so pack very warm clothes! It is more like British climate with plenty of rain showers in the afternoons so don’t forget waterproofs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ice axe and crampons then 🙂

I really don’t want a car as once we are in the area we just want to walk from day to day – adding routes together, Not wanting to return to the start point every day.

Used to trekking in scotland so will take woolly jumpers, waterproofs, shorts, midge repellent and sunscreen 🙂

If the refugios are closed is there a winter room ?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I’ve seen one hut just below (maybe about 20 mintues walk from the top) the peak of Mount Vettore that has shelter that is unlocked so it can be used in the winter/autumn/spring months, but it is very very basic. Wooden benches that it is it. Not sure about the others.

Also beware of Italian maps, they aren’t as good as the OS maps and lots of paths have been “forgotten” either due to vegetation or landslides. The GAS is easy to follow and well maintained at the moment.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bumpity bump incase anyone else has anything helpful

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If the refugios are closed is there a winter room ?

It’s a bolder man than me who will say a definite yes, you maybe need to confirm with the CAI what is the president in that area you are visiting. However, certainly in the French/Swiss/Italian Alps all high mountain refuge huts have a winter room that is open when a Guardian is not there, however, as stated above, expect nothing more than a bothy type room. In one case in France, we had to climb a metal ladder to roof height and crawl thru a trap door.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As an aside, I’ve spent most of my ‘foreign’ hols over the last 15 years climbing, mountaineering, walking and biking in France, Switzerland and Italy. Without doubt, I’ve found that generally the Italians have been the most friendly and helpful towards us, I’m sure you will have a great trip.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Walking in central Italy?’ is closed to new replies.