• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bones.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Walking boots/shoes for very wide feet
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

My Merrel Moab GTXs have fallen apart, so I need something new. General walking rather than very rugged mountaineering. Comfort over all other considerations. I have very wide feet, so many brands simply aren’t wearable. The Merrels were comfy, but I’m loathe to buy that brand again as the quality isn’t very good, and they aren’t cheap.

I recently bought a pair of Think! Kong shoes, and anyone who knows that brand will know that they are ‘foot shaped’. I’d love something like that, but a bit more robust, and hopefully waterproof. All year round use.

Any suggestions?

glenh
    Free Member

Alt-Berg are quality British made boots that come in 5 widths:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/stockist-fitting-advice/

duckman

Altberg x 2. I have feet like dustbin lids and alt-bergs are ace. They have proper fitting centres as well.

geoffj

I have plates for feet and have been wearing Adidas for the last year
    http://www.adidas.co.uk/terrex-fast-r-mid-gtx-shoes/AF5981.html

Moses

Keen shoes and boots are good for wide boys

binners

As already suggested, try Keen. I’ve got feet like a baboon. Very wide. used to live Merrells, but also found the quality went right down the tubes, and they’d fall apart in no time

The Keens definitely don’t. The fit on wide feet is better than Merralls, and quality-wise they’re in a different league

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Try on some scarpa boots. I have wide feet and have been an adult life long scarpa loyalist. Have experimented with Salomon and la sportiva, but found they hurt my little toes.

kiwijohn

I was never keen on the look of Keens, but I got some Targhee II mids last year to go walk about & they’re the most comfy boots I’ve ever owned. Bit sweaty in the desert being waterproof, but you might not have a problem with that.

trailhound101

+1 for “Keen”. Tried some in a shop in the lakes at Easter to replace my ageing Scarpas. The Keen’s are wide fit and super comfy. Walked all day in them, in The Lakes, straight out of the box – excellent!

clodhopper
    Free Member

Thanks for these suggestions. Will go into town to try some on soon.

A friend mentioned Hitec for wide feet; I haven’t seen that brand for ages. Any good? They do seem pretty cheap by comparison.

brooess
    Free Member

I have superfat feet (only specialized cycling shoes fit me) and I have some Scarpa boots and sportiva which both work for me

ElShalimo

Altberg are good but even the Xtra Wide isn’t hugely wide (I’m a big fan of their boots), they also size up small so add half a size.
    Keen are heavy, clunky boots but if they fit your feet then they’ll be good.
    Don’t forget Meindl, they do a comfort range of extra wide boots like the Bernina.
    At the end of the day, get yourself down to a good quality shop and get fitted properly by someone who knows what they’re doing.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

+1 for meindl. I have broad feet and they fit great. Very well made and thought out boots. Not cheap mind, but mine have lasted incredibly well and show no sign of having to be retired. The have quiet a hard footbed in them which isn’t for everyone, but I like it

clodhopper
    Free Member

Altberg, Keen, Scarpa, Meindl, with possible Adidas and HiTec. Any others?

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

A bit left-field but have a look at Gri-Sport. I am a size ten with really wide feet, was a bit dubious about a brand I had never heard of but am really impressed with them and they are really, really comfy.

Not clicked onto the above links but the Gri-Sport cost around the £70 mark.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have wide feet because of joint damage/neuromas, was recently told by the othopaedic that all of my shoes were too narrow. By chance I docovered that The North Face Litewave GTX walking shoes fit just great and have been bombproof. When time to look at another pair I’ll check out their ‘Hedgehog’ shoe.

RustySpanner

Brasher, now Berghaus.
    Widest I’ve tried along with Hanwag.

Both pretty roomy, Hanwag have an more pronounced arch.

ski
    Free Member

Another vote for Keen, if you can find a stock over her of the US made, Keen, Durand Low WP Hiking Shoe, they are well worth trying.

Mine are just over a year old and are the most comfortable and well build wide fitting hiking shoes I have ever owned.

BadlyWiredDog

Berghaus / KEEN / Hanwag all on the wide side. But as above, you really to try some different brands. The Berghaus last, for example, is broad and high volume in the forefoot, but also very loose in the heel, which might or might not match your foot shape.

KEEN’s European-made models aren’t quite as wide as the original US versions btw, but still quite roomy.

Fwiw, I’d have said that the Merrell fit is more medium than wide, but it all comes down to what suits the vagaries of your particular foot.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have exceptionally wide feet and no end of problems. I work in walking boots most of the time so I get through a LOT of them too!

Brands I have got along with in the last few years include – I am somewhere around a size 12, but some boots have odd sizing:

Alt-Berg (Size 13) (motorbike boots granted, and custom built – which is always an option with them)

Mammut (Size 13) – Current work boots and so far very impressed with them. Not sure on longevity at this stage though.

Solomon (Size 12.5) – Quests and the trainer style boots the name of which escapes me.

Scapa (Size 12) – Got a couple of pairs on the go at the moment!

Hagloffs (Size 12)

Keen (Size 12) – last ones I tried weren’t so good though.

Asolo (Size 13) – this one surprised me, but damn comfy and was the first time I had gone up a size for fit, but this was as advised by the man in George Fisher (Keswick).

There are many, many more that I haven’t got on with or which fell apart in 6 months or less. My boots tend to be ruined after a year but sometimes I get a bit more out of them!

bones
    Free Member

Most comfortable I’ve found so far:

What were the haglofs like, kronos?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Walking boots/shoes for very wide feet’ is closed to new replies.