• This topic has 25 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jecca.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Walking boots, trail shoe recommendations
  • jecca
    Free Member

Hello. My old Brasher walking boots have just about had enough, I’m hoping to pick something new up in the sales.

Any good recommendations for walking or a trail shoe all rounder type of thing?
    Thank you.

BadlyWiredDog

It all depends on what fits your foot shape. Loads of people will tell you how brilliant XYZ is for them, but it doesn’t matter. Really, your best bet is to simply go and try a bunch of different brands to see what works.

If your foot is Brasher shaped and they fit you well, you’ll want something similarly roomy – Keen, Scarpa, Brasher, which is about to be incorporated into Berghaus, Berghaus too, maybe Anatom – but they all fit slightly differently.

I really like Asolo, Hanwag and Salomon, but I find Brasher’s fit a bit sloppy.

djambo
    Free Member

I bought the wife some Scarpa Terra boots. She loves them more than me now!

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

good advice from BWD there. I got some salomon quest 4d gtx boots and i find them extremely comfortable and have worn well so far, despite some reviews concerning reliability. to be fair though they haven’t had that much use this year. the salomons and almost as comfortable as trainers.

Clobber
    Free Member

contrary to scotlandthedave, I think Salomon quality has fallen off a cliff, having had 10+ pairs of Salomon over the years I will never buy them again…

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

these things, best boots ive ever had on my feet! 2yrs on and their as comfy as my slippers now 🙂
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-MILITARY-BLACK-PRO-BOOTS-GORETEX-LINED-SIZE-9-L-NEW-/191451384496?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2c93644ab0

i’ll get another pair IF they ever wear out 😆

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve had some good Berghaus boots and trainers recently and it is a brand I’ll stick with.

As above though, getting boots that fit is only really possible by trying them on. Normally boots from the same company fit the same way.

Sport pursuit has plenty of cheap boots and you can always send them back. I just got another pair for £60. Ask a friend if you are not a member as you get a discount if you are referred I think (as does the persone referring)

vorlich
    Free Member

I like Haglofs.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Alt-Berg.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I like Haglofs.

How much ? I think I would only be able to afford one foot and not a pair.

OP I have had good experience with North Face, have some ankle boot and some approach shoes both very good. I too have been a loyal Salomon customer but have some concerns over quality these days.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Meindl.

crankboy
    Free Member

My foot is Scapa shaped. They are waterproof strong and hard wearing they ain’t light but they really suit me and my wife who also has a pair . Should they wear out while I can still benefit from them I would get another pair.

jimjam
    Free Member

For approach shoes tough enough for hill walking and day to day use I love my merrell moab gtx. I can’t remeber when I bought them and they are still going strong. Been up many a mountain. For wet boggy marshy or very rocky stuff I’ve got some lowa gtx which I love. Also a fan of Meindl.

The wife’s got some scarpa which she likes. Last 2 pairs of salomon I had fell apart very quickly.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

My brothers swears by the army boots, I have a pair of Zamberlan Vioz GT probably the best boot I have ever had, not worn for 12 months, my son took me up on the challenge of a twenty mile speed yomp on Sunday, they were a pleasure to wear.

vorlich
    Free Member

How much ? I think I would only be able to afford one foot and not a pair.

£120 for mine, seems about average for a decent pair of walking boots. You can certainly pay a lot more…

Plus, they come in enduro colours. Behold:

stu170
    Free Member

Altbergs for me. Off the shelf military type, the sneeker 2’s wore them for 2 years with work, now we have switched to brown boots, I use them for knocking about in collecting wood and wandering around forests watching enduros and such like. Brilliant for me and the free re soleing hasn’t been needed after 5 years

jools182
    Free Member

Plus, they come in enduro clown colours.

You’re a brave man 🙂

ElShalimo

That’s not Enduro colouring its Euro colouring typical of the euroi climbing scene for last 25 years
    Karrimor kit was very similar back in the 90s.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

wanted some rugged everyday shoes so i bought some haglof crags a month or so ago that with a bit of web searching for discount stock, some obscure discount codes found on a forum that still worked and a bit cashback came in just under 50quid. absolutely lovely things i think.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have salewas they fit me and a boot shaped but my feet are the least fussy feet on the planet.

matt_outandabout

What fits best.
    I have a full range of winter rigid, leather ‘traditional’ 3 season and light approach shoe and boot.
    I have to say that 90% of my hill days and walks are now in approach shoe boots – they are waterproof (and membranes now last), much lighter and easier to walk distances in. Leather ‘trad’ boots go on for wintery/really, really wet days.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Just bought a new pair of keen approach shoes following recommendations on here for their walking sandals. Really really pleased with the sandals, they are on my feet for a lot of the year for casual wear. The shoes so far feel really solid, far more than my Merrells and hi tecs (make of that what you will!), fully waterproof but they are pretty warm when worn for a while.

jecca
    Free Member

Thank you all for some good advice and suggestions.

knottie8
    Free Member

Alt-Berg ,I like these as you can get different width fittings which made all the difference to me finding a compfy boot. Not the cheapest but one of the best .

bones
    Free Member

Inov-8: light, bendy and grippy. No blisters after doing the WHW in 3 days. Bit of a durability trade-off though

jecca
    Free Member

I ended up finding some North Face Goretex trail shoes for reasonable money. The fit is excellent, feels like a glove around the rear of my foot but also has a little room at the front, feels like shoe magic. Will see how they last and report back with any problems. Thanks again. The advice and suggestions helped.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Walking boots, trail shoe recommendations’ is closed to new replies.