Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Walking Boots
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Having owned a lovely pair of Zamberlans since my late teens, the leather finally split last year.

I rarely have use for walking boots to be honest, so im looking for something cheap and light, maybe goretex?

Whats a good online shop for some deals

kristoff
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these. Extremely comfortable and well put together.

Merrell Moab gtx

Moses

Don’t buy boots online. They need to fit you or you’ll walk in pain. pay the extra & buy from a shop after trying several pairs.

ransos
    Free Member

If you’re a member of the CTC, Cotswold Leisure do a 15% discount.

soobalias
    Free Member

even buying from a shop you dont know how they are till you really put them to the test. My Dad a few years back bought from a shop, took home, broke them in on the carpet(!) and was happy. After three to four miles on the relative flat, he found they hurt his feet (he walks a lot, so expected he would know)

go outside seem to have lots of choice, but the site is playing havoc with the work firewall.

Are there any brands that traditionally come up wide, too narrow is what usually precludes a shoe for me.

cheers for the heads up ransos, I am, so i will take a look.

jools182
    Free Member

I went to 2 shops and ended up with Kayland boots, and bought some insoles too

they still hurt my feet

RustySpanner

Karrimor KSB’s from Sports Direct.
    Bloody marvelous for the cash. Quite wide.

sharkattack

My 6 year old Brasher Hillmasters are still going strong and get more comfortable over time. Leather on the outside, Gore-tex on the inside and pretty subtle looking compared some of the competitions moon boots.

This is the current version of mine;
    LINK

I think when I need a replacement these will be the first things I look for but at the rate of deterioration I don’t need to worry about it for some time.

soobalias
    Free Member

hard to look past sports direct and nice to hear the karrimors are quite wide

cheers Rusty.

gazc
    Free Member

i’d avoid karrimors imo – my bro bought a pair and they’ve split after a few months regular use. if you are in newcastle area blacks have a 50% off everything sale and had plenty of boots in yesterday

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can kill any boot in about a year. Scarpa, brasher, rachlie (sp). I now buy karrimor from sports direct and consider them disposable. Shame, as I’d love a solid pair I could mould to my feet and have resoled.

cozz
    Free Member

ALTBERGS

great boots, comfy as slippers, I drove upto their factory shop, real nice old fashioned proper shop in the corner of the actual place where they are made, old bloke with apron serves you who look like he knows everything about their boots and more !!

ive had their field and fell boot, now got a pair of altberg bergen’s

you won’t kill these after a year !

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of Karrimor boots and the sole started leaking in no time at all. Vibram as well, which used to be a selling point for climbing boots. I have read that the KSB’s are different though.

EDIT: looks like they are KSB’s. 🙄 buy cheap buy twice in this case. I had Salomons before the Karrimors, lasted ages and apart from a squeak they were brilliant.

colournoise

Merrell’s were a always a bit narrow for me. Have recently switched to Salomon (can’t remember the model name but look similar to their current Exit Peak). Spot on – wide enough for my boat like feet, and super light and comfy to boot.

spacemonkey

I contemplated a “cheap” pair of boots last year but decided to push the boat and get something I believed would last (and be better quality, waterproof more durable etc). Ended up with a pair of Meindl Borneo which I have to say are awesome. They turn you into a Transformer; part man, part tank. Nothing gets in your way. End of.

jonnyrockymountain

Meindl Burma pro (similar to Borneo)
    They have been fantastic now in there 5th year and still going strong.

diz

Original KGB gtx 300’s are fantastic! I’ve got two pairs and would love another pair but they are very hard to find now as they’ve not been manufactured for about 10 years. The new ones are made on a different last and are indeed crap. Currently using Salomon boots which are good. But as said above always buy from a shop and listen to their advise.

grim168
    Free Member

I also have meindl’s. mine are nepals and are over ten years old (although they have been resoled). Leather lined solid heavy and take forever to dry out if they get soaked. I bought some asolos from gaynors in ambleside for summer walking. Almost as stiff but far lighter and goretex lined. Don’t buy online you gotta try them on. I wear the cheap karrimor boots from soccer sports as general knock about footwear but the soles wear out very quickly.

pikey999
    Free Member

+1 for the Altbergs I’m lucky enough to be issued a pair of their boots for work and they are awesome soon as I get chance I will be replacing my walking boots with a pair from them.

RustySpanner

diz – Member

Original KGB gtx 300’s are fantastic! I’ve got two pairs and would love another pair but they are very hard to find now as they’ve not been manufactured for about 10 years. The new ones are made on a different last and are indeed crap.

I’ve had three pairs of the new KSB’s over the last 10 years – worn every day for work, in all weathers.
    I’ve found them to be excellent.
    The quality seems just as good as the originals.
    Everything is double stitched, the Vibram soles are top quality.

I’ve also had a couple of pairs of the leather Karrimors recently – currently wearing a pair of the Conistons.
    They’ve been worn year round for walking in Snowdonia, the Lakes & at home trudging round the Pennines.
    Never, ever had an issue.
    Maybe I’ve just been lucky. 🙂

Conversely, I’ve had bad experiences with Brasher and Meindl, neither of which have lasted more than six months.

No connection to Sports Direct, btw.

doom_mountain

Another vote for Meindl Burma’s here, wide fit, really tough boot, not light though…

But ultimately, go to a shop that will measure your feet and advise on a suitable boot, much more useful than any of us 😉

spacemonkey

Doh! Just remembered mine are the Burma, not Borneo. Dunno why I keep confusing them. Anyway, like DM says, they’re fookin’ heavy but bombproof.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Berghaus boots, I am looking into replacing my 15yr old pair!

soobalias
    Free Member

so after 19years of use, the Zamberlans have walked their last mile.

Ive gone the sports direct route, karrimor ksb350s, come in half sizes which was the winning poing. Already arrived, they look like boots. If they fall apart in five minutes I will post back on here, else you can assume that they were the £40 bargain they appeared.

thanks everyone for your advice.

footflaps

Original KGB gtx 300’s are fantastic! I’ve got two pairs and would love another pair but they are very hard to find now as they’ve not been manufactured for about 10 years.

I use an old pair as my gardening / building boots!

MrGreedy

I’ve found Salomon and Raichle both have quite a wide last, but as above, it’s worth spending the time trying plenty on in a good shop.

ransos
    Free Member

Meindl Burma pro (similar to Borneo)

+1. Bought mine about 8 years ago, and have walked all over Scotland, Lakes, Europe, Himalaya, New Zealand, Patagonia and the High Andes. They’ve never leaked and I’ve never had a blister. Not cheap but well worth the investment.

I recently bought some Meindl trail shoes for easier walks – time will tell but they’re very comfy.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Walking Boots’ is closed to new replies.