Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Walkie talkie's for kids – help please!
  • core

Nephew’s birthday coming up, I’m hoping to retain the ‘cool uncle’ mantle, though probably already referred to as uncled **** in their house….

He’s going to be 4, but 4 going on 6, the kid’s far too clever.

All of the kids walkie talkie’s are rubbish, cheap crap that runs on AAA batteries. So I want a pair of rechargable jobs, but with not too many buttons, a single channel or that are lockable so he can’t change channel and cock them up.

Any ideas? I’m struggling!

perchypanther
    Free Member

…or MagicBox Pebble walkie talkies. I got a set of 4 out of Argos for about £50 four years ago for the kids to use when they’re out and about at our caravan and they’ve been awesome.

somouk
    Free Member

Yeah, some basic PMRs will be ideal and have a sensible range on them.

Just be aware others can listen in and communicate on the same channels if they are within range.

core

I’m not sure anyone will be that interested in what his favourite Dinosaur is to be honest!

perchypanther
    Free Member

A favourite dinosaur you say?

Tell us more…

jamj1974

Decathlon seemed to have some reasonable ones – last time I went.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

what’s a PMR somouk?

Our 4 year old would like some for his birthday. He’s also at the age now (and with his best friend living 40m down the road) that they’d actusally be useful for us parents too.

These look okay. I’m amazed at the selection for under £30!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binatone-Latitude-Twin-Walkie-Talkie/dp/B000X2BYYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471443869&sr=1-1&keywords=best+walkie+talkies

smashit
    Free Member

PMR is the range of frequencies that are available for any joe blogs to transmit on without a permit/license. Power output is limited to 0.5W. Almost all ‘cheap’ (under £100 or so) two-way radios are factory set to these 8 channels.

somouk
    Free Member

what’s a PMR somouk?

PMR means private mobile radio and is just shorthand for radios using the PMR 446 frequency such as the small hand held devices mentioned in this thread and the binatone ones you’ve linked to.

smashit
    Free Member
    makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks guys and thanks for starting the thread Core.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

retain the ‘cool uncle’ mantle

Ipod Touch it is then

So that he can Facetime and see as well as hear the other person he wants to talk to.

Rickos
    Free Member

Our two have a nice set of Binatone walkie talkies. Sit in a cradle to recharge, but they do have about 6 or 8 channels which you said you didn’t want. But they are very good with excellent range. We take them out to the woods and they work fine.

Same as these – http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/binatone-latitude-150-black-walkie-talkies/0066293

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Walkie talkie's for kids – help please!’ is closed to new replies.