Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Walkers,runners and dog owners.
  • project
    Free Member

Should they be forced by law and serious punishments,to wear a hi-viz bib,carry a whistle,and most importantly keep their bloody dogs on a lead,short enough not 200 bloody feet extending things, as well as takeing their nasty obnoxious dog turd bags home.

iDave
    Free Member

wear a hi-viz bib,carry a whistle

do you?

Mog
    Free Member

Apart from the 'dog turd bags' – No.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you use a bell? If not you have no room to talk.

I find using a bell politely in plenty of time smooths over 95% of the interactions. Must have passed 50 walkers on the trails today – eveyone a pleasant interaction bar one family of muppets
    *Ping*
    walker moves to side of path and gets dog under control
    *thank you*

Its amazing what politeness does

nickc

No, but they should be banned from the high street on a Saturday, not fun for any-one concerned, them or me when the daft old bat couldn't avoid me…Idiots

DezB
    Free Member

Take the dog turd bags home?? And then do what with them? Cook em up on toast?
    Eejit.

PS. I put mine in the dog turd bag bin.

project
    Free Member

I carry a whistle attached to my back pack , a short blast and walkers file to one side,usually, and i always say thank you.

There seems to be a uk shortage of dog turd bins,as most dog walkers hang them fromm the trees,obviously practicing for when the christmas tree arrives.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

As a dog walker and runner, apart from the dog turds no. Should some mountain bikers be more considerate to them, yes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

*Ping*
    walker moves to side of path and gets dog under control
    *thank you*

not in non-TJ-world:
    *ping*
    walker looks into the sky as if celestial microwave has just finished warming their pasty OR
    walker hunches shoulders and tries to be wider

mind you the Air Zounds horn used to be a laff as they ran in every direction at once expecting an artic – but I decided it wasn't kind to them…

AdamT

So what's the problem with runners then? Are they known to dump on the trails?

nosemineb
    Free Member

somebody has maybe been over taken by a runner whilst riding! 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno,
    I shit in biodegradable plastic bags at home, then take them out with me on runs and lob them in trees to save walkers stepping on them.
    It adds valuable phosphates back into the eco-system, and saves me having to pay for the cesspit to be emptied.

project
    Free Member

Runners run in a in straight lines, they see nothing in front of them,or hear nothing behind them,they are in fact zombies,who have escaped from an alternate world,where people cannot ride a bike.

Love the thought of celestial microwave,in the sky,pity it didnt fall on some of them.

Another thing,those fat people in football shirts,with a number on the back that equates to their mental age,or the number of years since they last had sex.
    Why do they always come out on weekends,and why are they always eating or talking on a mobile,exercising your jaw is not exercising in real life.

AdamT

I've overtaken people at MM whilst running (with a broken bike), maybe one of them was project? 😉

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

I fall into all the categories and promise I will try harder not to crap on the trail

MrOvershoot

simonfbarnes – Member
    *ping*
    walker looks into the sky as if celestial microwave has just finished warming their pasty

Simon that is genius 😀

pitduck
    Free Member

[walker looks into the sky as if celestial microwave has just finished warming their pasty]frighteningly accurate 😆

johnnyc

Hope rear hubs, little bit of free wheeling when you are 50 yards away or so, better than any bell!

Peregrine
    Free Member

Live and let live, the trails are not just for cyclists, show some respect for other people and perhaps they will show you some.

anagallis_arvensis

I was out walking my dog yesterday, shes 10 months old and as dumb as a box of frogs. A mountainbiker came up behind me with no warning and came past me at a decent speed. I was unable to call the dog over in that time, I shouted stay and she did quite suprisingly the biker didnt slow and sped on. Had my dog paniced and run and he'd have hit her I'd have ripped his **** head off. He was a cock, not all bikers are, just him. I've moved on maybe you should too.

oomidamon

I usually yell a cheery 'bike behind' from a reasonable distance and 'thanks' as I pass. And for the ignorant gits who refuse to acknowledge a friendly 'hello' I usually say 'even pigs can grunt'.

CaptJon
    Free Member

A dog walker shouted at me today. He and his two dogs were taking up the majority of the shared cycle/foot path. I whistled to announce my presence…nothing…I called 'excuse me'…nothing…i squeeze past…recieve an earful. Idiot. The little adrenaline boost was most welcome though.

antigee

I was unable to call the dog over

my first reaction is to worry when i see someone running frantically towards a dog that isn't on a lead – my second reaction is if it does chases cyclists / runners (i do both – sometimes in a bright vest / sometimes not and sometimes being attentive / sometimes not) why isn't it on a lead?

after all most paths / tracks are path / tracks because other people use them

Rockape63
    Free Member

If you want the tracks and trails to yourself……..go out at night!

Otherwise, as others have said, you have to share them with the others! It's common sense really!

stever
    Free Member

I run and ride. Dogs I can forgive for being a little bit foolish, owners less so. Idiots are everywhere, but I reckon there's more riders with a chip on their shoulder than runners. Have a nice day now 😉

legend76
    Free Member

i live right next to the derwent walk it's part of the c2c cycle route,there's a sign on it that cyclists must give way to pedestrians. i usually walk my dog on there and it's hard to hear cyclists coming,the only thing that annoy,s me is when i get my dog and move over to the side sometimes i rarely even get a thanks so i just shout CHEERS MATE! after them.maybe i'll just let him run loose in future :twisted:that'd be amusing

zaskar
    Free Member

I just ring my bell in advance-sorted.

Except my riding buddies freak out because of the bell.

I also find that by chatting up young women who are walking their dogs is useful.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its interesting that those of us who are polite and use a bell get politness in return. Those of us who want are not polite get rudeness back.

its very rare I get any confrontation with walkers. But then I am always polite

captain jon – what on earth were you doing whistling to get people to move over – now that is rude. a bell is excpected – a whistle is not.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

bells and whistles are no good when they walk and run with there ipods on full blast in their ears…. like the two i passed on sunday 👿

soobalias
    Free Member

if you really struggle to interact with other life on the planet, perhaps you should restrict yourself to the online persona?

personally i dont like using a bell, on a bike i will slow down and call out. When im walking my dog although i will call him to heel when i see or hear a bike, ive no intention of jumping to attention as soon as some gimp rings a bell.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Soobalias – I don't expect you to jump to attention when you hear the bell – all it does is allow you to hear me coming earlier than you would otherwise. its not an order to get out of the way – its just to let you know i am there.

I do not really understand it but walkers seem to react far better to a bell than to other things.

IMO anyone who does not use a bell has not got a leg to stand on complaining about walkers being rude.

its all about politness IMO

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJs not being totally honest about his bell –

PING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

😉

zaskar
    Free Member

SOOBalias – Member
    if you really struggle to interact with other life on the planet, perhaps you should restrict yourself to the online persona?

personally i dont like using a bell, on a bike i will slow down and call out. When im walking my dog although i will call him to heel when i see or hear a bike, ive no intention of jumping to attention as soon as some gimp rings a bell.

I use my bell as a means of safety and politeness, I don't expect everyone to jump out of the way. I even say thanks too.

It's called manners, and so far I've only had hello said to me by walkers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

With you 100% Zaskar.

Ping the bell 30 yards away
    say "just letting you know we are here" as you get close
    then "thanks" as you pass.

I get sick and tired of doing this as it could be 50 times a ride – but I remain convinced its one of the reasons why I get very little confrontation with walkers. I even get thanked for using the bell and being polite

surfer
    Free Member

With you 100% Zaskar.

Ping the bell 30 yards away
    say "just letting you know we are here" as you get close
    then "thanks" as you pass.

I get sick and tired of doing this as it could be 50 times a ride – but I remain convinced its one of the reasons why I get very little confrontation with walkers. I even get thanked for using the bell and being polite

In TJ world where the dogs dont bite!

Resin42
    Free Member

My bike did come with a bell but I removed it cos it was gay. (TJ, take note 😉 ).

When approaching walkers I do tend to slow and find the noisiest piece of the approaching trail, (leaves, puddles etc) and ride over it. It usually does the trick. If they step to the side, keep hold of their dogs, gather the kids then I'm polite and thank them. If they don't hear then I slow right down so I don't scare the sh*t out of them. I realise this can be a bit of a bind if you're training or whatever but bikers don't own the trails, we need to share. If walkers annoy you, go somewhere with less walkers.

My personal favourite though was when I was tearing around the Necropolis in Glasgow, a dog walker approaching from THE OTHER DIRECTION wasn't paying attention and I gave him a bit of a fright. He launched into a four letter tirade about how this was a graveyard and I shouldn't be here. Meanwhile his dog's pissing on a headstone. You can't win em all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surfer – maybe its a scotland / england thing – all I know is decades of polite riding and almost no confrontations with walkers.

oNE COMMON FACTOR THO – THOSE WHO USE BELLS SEEM TO GET LITTLE CONFRONTATION, THOSE WHO GET CONFRONTATION WITH WALKERS TEND NOT TO USE BELLS.

Bugger – caps lock!

I simply cannot understand why people are so resistant to usig bells – even if its only 75% effective it must be worth it.

surfer
    Free Member

I use a bell and I agree with you. i am always polite and I often get the same in return. I stop to give people the right of way and I always slow down for walkers, horses etc.
    I Just find it a bit sanctimonious that you have never come across the occasional belligerent old codger or dog walker who is downright rude and nasty.
    I have only met a small number but to indicate they never exist or that they don't exist if you are polite is not true.

midgebait
    Free Member

On the bridleway behind Grange in Borrowdale an elderly chap had a go at me after I overtook him and his wife. That was despite me shouting 'morning' a number of times before I got to them. When I stopped to point out that I shouted politely to warn them he commented that his wife is deaf and that I should have used a bell. Hard to think of a response at the time and I am still perplexed to this day.

Perhaps he's seen PeterPoddy's bell 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fair enough surrfer – did I say never no – i said "very little confrontation"

Off hand I can think of 3 occurences in 20 yrs here

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Walkers,runners and dog owners.’ is closed to new replies.