Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Waitrose Heading North – Will that work?
  • Dobbo

+1 for Booths, best by far, just done my shop in the one in Keswick, get there at 8am nice and quite, straight to the reduced counter for a snuffle, got reduced venison steaks 8)

New one opening in Penrith soon as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Waitrose has tons more and better stuff than our other local stores. Fact.

ourmaninthenorth

While we have a Waitrose in Formby, and a huge (but excellent) Tesco near Chorley, and Booths in Leyland, the best thing about living in West Lancashire is…

…the fact that loads of the produce comes from round here. Every farm has a shop selling its produce direct to us….

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Newcastle opening in a couple of weeks

Isn’t there one in Eldon Square? under John Lewis, unsurprisingly? sure one in Jesmond too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There’s one in Harrogate, which is ‘North’.

There is.

AND I HATE THE PEOPLE IN THERE – EVEN THE SHELF STACKERS ARE CONDESCENDING. THE STAFF ARE RUDE. OTHER CUSTOMERS ACT LIKE IT IS THEIR OWN PERSONAL SHOP AND I AM INCONVENIENCING THEM.

HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEKILLKILLKILLHATEDESTROYKILL!

ourmaninthenorth

mastiles – just order online then. Or does the website hate you too…? 😉

Drac

Isn’t there one in Eldon Square? under John Lewis, unsurprisingly? sure one in Jesmond too.

The Jesmond one is the one opening in a few weeks.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Didn’t the Durham one close after a year or so of being open? Or has it re-opened?

The ale selection in Waitrose is quite good, but Booth’s is the master.

I like Booth’s.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

there’s a waitrose in york (capital of the North) too. but no booth’s.

i <3 booth’s.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

The wife works at booths so were entitled to 20% discount on everything (apart from fags and lottery). 8)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

mastiles – just order online then. Or does the website hate you too…?

I have no idea – we use Tesco but the way they pack the shopping I think, yes, they hate me too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The Jesmond one is the one opening in a few weeks.

Hmmm, maybe Jesmond just feels like it has one

MrSmith
    Free Member

When I introduced my friends from Manchester to some Edinburgh friends as “my pal from down south” he got all huffy

proof that people from regions other than the SE/SW/E have to overcompensate for their insecurities by overt regionalistic jingoism.
    why do they resort to this defense mechanism? is it because they have something to hide?

geoffj

We have Booth’s in the North West and Lakes.

Makes Waitrose look like Netto

+1

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

We have Booth’s in the North West and Lakes.
    Makes Waitrose look like Netto

And there’s me thinking it’s only us Southerners who are meant to be snobby and elitist…. 🙄

TBH, I’ve experienced more snobbery on trips Oop North than I’ve generally seen down South. And some of the most snobbish people I’ve ever met have bin Northerners. Funny that, in’t it?

why do they resort to this defense mechanism? is it because they have something to hide?

Good question. That Yorkshire/Lancashite thing is something I always find amusing. Most folk mean it in jest, like the South/Rest Of London thing, but some are proper serious about it. A mate had his car window smashed, because it had a red rose sticker on it. Irony is, he’s a Yorkshireman and just wasn’t bothered about taking the sticker off the second hand car he’d bought to get about in.

Northerners do tend to come across as quite defensive sometimes, and seem very quick to extol the virtues of their beloved counties, to anyone who will listen, and you do get a bit of that ‘Ee, it’s God’s own County this’ type of chest puffing going on. What’s that all about? No-one’s actually saying where you come from is crap, you know.

IanMunro
    Free Member

+10 for Booths.
    Went to the one in Keswick, and was amazed! It was like a proper shop but in the North. Would love to have one near me, but according to their store finder the nearest is 136 miles away 🙁

terrahawk
    Free Member

sorry, my bad

piss off. Cheers.

Brycey
    Free Member

I am loving this pro-Booths chat, not long now until one opens yards from me. I’ve never even set foot in one before

wallop

I was at the supermarkets conference in June and watched Mark Price (MD of Waitrose) complain about the “posh” reputation Waitrose has.

“Waitrose is not POSH,” he says “Waitrose is QUALITY. Sure, we have a store in Canary Wharf in which our most expensive bottle of wine is £300, but in that same store we also sell a £3.99 bottle of wine. Waitrose isn’t posh.”

The next person to speak was Andy Clarke, Chief Exec of Asda.

“I sympathise with Mark’s worries about Waitrose being perceived as posh. We have a store near Canary Wharf, in the Isle of Dogs. Our most expensive wine in there is £15 a bottle. We’re not posh either.”

Made me chuckle.

Dobbo

not long now until one opens yards from me

Property prices will rise by 10-15% on the back of it, like the old days when Pizza Expresses used to open people knew the area was up and coming.

cbike
    Free Member

They are interested in Helensburgh but only if they can build on greenbelt.

Dobbo

Then above Booths there’s Cranstones, so posh the trolleys are tiny.

geoffj

Mmm Booths

Brycey
    Free Member

“Property prices will rise by 10-15% on the back of it, like the old days when Pizza Expresses used to open people knew the area was up and coming.”

I’m renting 🙁

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m renting

Property Rental prices will rise by 10-15% on the back of it, like the old days when Pizza Expresses used to open people knew the area was up and coming.”

Brycey
    Free Member

“Property Rental prices will rise by 10-15% on the back of it, like the old days when Pizza Expresses used to open people knew the area was up and coming.”

Noted! Luckily I’m just starting to think about moving, and will have before my landlord clicks. Unluckily, there won’t be a brand new Booths nearby at the new place.

mcboo
    Free Member

Crouch End Woolworths shut down, out of it’s ashes rose a shiny new Waitrose, very lovely it is too.

Staff owned partnership too, totally right-on.

derekrides
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Northerners do seem very quick to extol the virtues of their beloved counties, to anyone who will listen,

Thing that always gets me and given we were always told to be distrustful of anyone claiming honesty, why is it only good ‘honest’ stuff comes from Yorkshire? Including the last ridiculous ad I saw about broadband ffs.

derekrides
    Free Member

Oh and I can’t wait to here how they work out you have to post your carrier bags back through the narrowest slit devised by man, for recycling, Honest John Barnoldswick is going to really get off on that..

timc
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    While we have a Waitrose in Formby, and a huge (but excellent) Tesco near Chorley, and Booths in Leyland, the best thing about living in West Lancashire is…

Lets make sure everyone knows Formby is on Merseyside, even us robbing scum bags have a waitrose!

twelveski
    Free Member

Booths is owned by Waitrose so I guess they have a bit of experience in the north.

Cougar

got reduced venison steaks

You did well to get a bargain there, they’re usually dead deer.

Dobbo

Booths is owned by Waitrose so I guess they have a bit of experience in the north.

Where did you get that from?? They do some buying together.

wallop

They have a buying alliance, but Booths is bot owned by Waitrose.

ransos
    Free Member

You can’t define northerness by geography alone. Harrogate is definitely more southern than Stoke, for example.

Anyway, Waitrose. What’s the most ridiculous item they consider to be “Essential”? I’ll start with taramasalata.

neninja
    Free Member

As above – Waitrose and Booths work together to get better terms from suppliers but Booths is still owned by the same family that started it.

The current chairman Edwin Booth is something like the great, great, great grandson of the founder, also Edwin Booth. Refreshing in this day and age.

Bunnyhop

Booths is my favourite supermarket, however in the bunnyhop household we use the local shops where possible.

JulianA
    Free Member

It used to be Morrisons which was considerably worserer than the Safeway which preceded it.

Just like the one in Portswood in Southampton then! If they can survive in the dump which is Portswood they can survive anywhere…

derekrides
    Free Member

Booths? It’s like another planet being described, wtf is Booths? Never heard of it never seen one, how many of them are there, two?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think it’s something Northern. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Waitrose Heading North – Will that work?’ is closed to new replies.