Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Waiting on the DVLA – temporary licence suspension
  • jakd95
    Free Member

Following a head op for a chronic subdural haematoma (see other thread) I had to contact the DVLA and supply information about the above to see if/how long I’ll have to not drive for. The op was 30/08 and I contacted them on 01/09, they sent some forms which were returned the day I received them (by post) on 05/09. That’s the last I’ve heard from them.

I’m aware that the DVLA work at a glacially slow pace, but I was wandering how long it took to hear back from them for any one else who had to advise them about a medical condition? Will I still be waiting when hell freezes over?

Fwiw, their online guidelines indicate that I’d most likely be stopped from driving for 4 weeks, which obviously isn’t far away, but I haven’t/can’t drive at all until I hear back from them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get well soon.

I know someone who informed them of their epilepsy. IIRC it was about 2.5-3 weeks. They just got a ‘thankyou for letting us know, tell us if anything changes’ rather than any changes to their licence though.

Steve_B

In my case I received confirmation that they had written to the surgeon after a couple of weeks and then a further letter saying the surgeon has not yet responded after 4 weeks. Still waiting and a further 3 weeks have gone by. In fairness the delay might the surgeon not the DVLA. I imagine he/she might have more to worry about.

Ii is my interpretation of the info on their site that if you have been passed by your surgeon as fit to drive then you can drive whilst awaiting their decision. Even then only you can decide if you are ready/fit though!

There is also a document Assessing Fitness to Drive on their website. I phoned them to clarify and they said I had to complete the form or they would suspend my licence!

Drac

Glad to hear you’re healing.

They are very slow that said around 10 days to renewed my licence but as yours involves a medical enquiry I’d expect not to hear for at least 3 weeks probably more like 4.

jakd95
    Free Member

Finally heard back today (25/09) via a letter sent on the 21st. Apparently they have contacted the consultant to get a definitive answer which could take up to 6 weeks, joy!! What a drag.

I’m hoping this will be less time than that, has anyone had any experience with waiting on a medical answer?

On a personal level I’m healing well and pretty much back to normal activity wise. Very steady rides and turbo training in the back yard which is a relief after time off the bike.

Steve_B

Checks back up thread – yep def answered this on 3rd post 😉

Sounds like you are doing well though.

nstpaul

Took my father 4 months of chasing DVLA / Neurosurgeon etc before he got the letter saying it had been re-issued in a similar scenario.

What to do also is keep checking your licence status online as my mother checked for my father and found that they had re-issued it almost a week before he got the letter…

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Steve_B

Sounds like the OP and I might be waiting a while longer then.

If you haven’t been told to hand in your licence then this is the relevant info whilst waiting.

DVLA advice

Driving whilst waiting for medical report

chvck
    Free Member

I have to renew my license under medical grounds every 3 years. I’m pretty sure last time did take a little while and my license expired but I kept driving under section 88 although that probably doesn’t help you. I found them really helpful when I rang them so that could be worth a go to see if they can do/clarify anything.

jakd95
    Free Member

Whoops, missed that when I reposted Steve! It sounds like a very similar position that you’re in. I haven’t been told to hand in my licence at any point, but was initially told that I had to complete and return the form to them or my licence would be suspended.

I’ll have a good read through all the above links and try and get hold of the consultant to see what their opinion is on me driving, it seems like it might be covered by the Section 88. Hopefully a call to the DVLA tomorrow will help to clarify this too.

Thanks for all the responses!

Steve_B

I received my DVLA confirmation yesterday so that took 3 months.

In fairness to the DVLA the delay was waiting for the consultant to respond.

In fairness to the consultant he will have better things to do than confirm the DVLAs own guidelines back to them 😕

Flaperon

The DVLA is snowed under at the moment with medical issues as a refusal to issue a driving license is one of the very few accepted confirmations of disability accepted by the DWP for some benefits. So people who’ve never needed or will have need for a driving license (epileptics for example) are being forced to apply to the DVLA knowing that they’ll be declined.

You cannot make up the incompetence and sheer bloody-minded nastiness that surrounds the benefit system at the moment.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Out of interest, is there anything to stop you just not bothering to tell the DVLA at all, and just wait until your doctor and you agree you’re OK to start driving again?

jakd95
    Free Member

An update! Finally received confirmation from the DVLA this morning that I’m okay to drive again, 9 weeks after submitting the initial form. As others have said above, it was chasing down the consultant that took the longest (6 weeks!). First he was on holiday, then his secretary was on sick leave and conveniently lost the letter. Finally managed to get through to someone at the end last week, who managed to sort it for me at the hospital end. A relief to be back behind the wheel!

Edit: With the doctor’s go ahead I could have driven before hearing back from the DVLA, but actually getting hold of him turned out to be nearly impossible.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Waiting on the DVLA – temporary licence suspension’ is closed to new replies.