Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wahoo Kickr V3, zwift and mtb
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Do these work with mountain bikes? I noticed the new one has the ability to take a 148×12 axle so tempted to join the zwift stuff rather than trudging out in winter muck for my evening rides. Assuming I have a 36 tooth front ring will the kickr be any good or are they mainly only suited to road gearing? Never used a turbo trainer before, let alone a kickr.

GHill

It’ll work fine, but it’s an awful lot of money to spend on a first turbo trainer!

weeksy

36 and MTB works fine, you may be in the bottom couple of years, but you can still hold a decent pace

BadlyWiredDog

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115018694743-Mountain-Bike-Support

Seems to imply that you may have issues with the relatively low gearing on a mountain bike just like in real life, that said, a 36 is going to be better than a smaller ring.

It sounds mad, but it might be easier to create a road or cross-based turbo ‘bike’ from cheap bits using a big ring up front and a geared rear. Obviously you don’t need brakes and you can get away with whatever you have lying about.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, thanks guys, looks like road gearing is the way to go.

BadlyWiredDog

I suspect it may depend on how brutally strong you are. You could always start off with a mtb and see how that goes, it seems to work for Weeksy. The Kickr is ace btw, my gf bought one a month or so back and the way it interacts with stuff like Zwift and the Sufferfest training videos is way better than a conventional dumb trainer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wahoo Kickr V3, zwift and mtb’ is closed to new replies.