Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • VW T5 engines… Which one?
  • sheeps

I’m in the market for a T5, with an expanding family, bikes, camping kit etc., so we’ve outgrown the VW Touran.

Probably got about 12k to spend. Trawling through Autotrader I’m on the cusp of either an older 2.5l engine at 130ps, or a modern 2.0l at 140ps… But at a higher mileage.

I presume the more modern engine with give a better economy maybe for the same(ish) power.

Which one is better/more reliable/less likely to cost me a fortune in the garage?

gavstorie
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2006 2.5 130. A tankfull costs £90 and gets me 500-520 miles depending on my right foot..

It’s done 320,000 miles now and its still runnung sweet as a nut…

Make of that what you will 🙂

cakefacesmallblock

My 2010 , 140, with less than 70000, performs very much the same from an mpg point of view. I bought it at 55000, so far so good.
    An odd one,the t5, many seem utterly reliable, some seem to suffer with a few issues, ( driveshaft, esp , manifold and clutch issues in particular) .
    I can’t help but feel some of this is down to user error, or ‘ over enthusiasm’ , it’s not so often you read about problems with the lesser powered models. Makes me wonder.

rickmeister

Get on the t5 forum , loads of info on there. … He said as an ex faultless and utterly reliable 2.5 220bhp owner..

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate has use of works T5 and its the last of the 1.9tdi ones and it seems to take plenty of hammer.

gavstorie
    Free Member

P.S.

The LWB minibus can fit 5 full size adult bikes(without removing bits) in the rear and still seat up to 6 people… (or 5 with the single seat removed(which gives extra room for bags etc..))

sheeps

Thanks gavstorie… still think i’m heading for the SWB (it’s taken 4 years to persuade the OH that a van is the answer) planning for front wheels off, sitting sideways across the van.

steveh

The 1.9’s in the older vans are generally the more reliable option and the same engine goes in so many things that parts are plentiful and anyone can fix them.

The 2.5’s are a little nicer to drive but have more trouble than the 1.9’s. A bit better after 08 as the camshafts are hardened from that point on. Means that servicing with the right oil is a must. They are harder on parts with the greater power especially drive shafts and exhaust manifolds.

The newer 2.0’s don’t seem to make much difference to economy, I’ve had all types and get 40+mpg on a decent run 30mpg ish around town. They are newer so it’s harder to be sure what the problems will be with these with any certainty, 4 years just doesn’t give a broad enough history.

For me I’d probably be looking at the newer vans only as the residuals will be better.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Money no object, the 2.0 BiTDI.

Otherwise, personally, I’d go with a 2.0 CR one (post-facelift). They too come in all sorts of other VAG stuff so parts aren’t an issue. If you look hard enough, you’ll find issues with every type of engine on the planet. I’d go with the face the T5.1 looks better on the outside, has a nicer dash and higher residuals.

I have an 84ps 2.0 but its currently running around 160bhp and will be going higher next year when the engine receives some serious attention following my work this year on the interior and exterior!

mtbrog
    Free Member

Hi, I have a 1.9 T5, the engine is the 104bhp version, however I have had this chipped to 146bhp, the differance is amazing, fuel efficiency definately improved (35 to 40mpg) as well as acceleration. So, provided the engine and turbo are in good condition don’t worry too much about the factory bhp.

mtbrog
    Free Member

Hi, I have a 1.9 T5, the engine is the 104bhp version, however I have had this chipped to 146bhp, the differance is amazing, fuel efficiency definately improved (35 to 40mpg) as well as acceleration. So, provided the engine and turbo are in good condition don’t worry too much about the factory bhp.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have a 2.0 140BHP, get about 36-38mpg, its got a 6 speed box, the lower powered models only have a 5 speed if that bothers you.

Yak

I have a 2.5 174ps with a 6sp gearbox. Mixed driving 30mpg ish. Long runs -mid 30s mpg.

Spud

We’ve a 2013 with 180 BiTDI DSG, very pleasantly surprised by it compared to the E Class 250CDI it replaced. Fuel wise 26-28 around town, 35-40 on the motorway depending how enhtusiastic you drive it. Towing the caravan around 23, it pulls very well too.

john_l
    Free Member

My 08 1.9 Kombi SWB is currently in the classifieds – Pendle remapped to 138.

Not completely sure that I want to let it go, but…..

mark90
    Free Member

I have a 2.5 174ps with a 6sp gearbox. Mixed driving 30mpg ish. Long runs -mid 30s mpg.

About the same here. Motorway runs give low 30’s at 80mph (indicated) crusing speed. Mid 30’s if a little more restrained.

sheeps

Thanks all… I am presuming that the 2.0 TDI 140PS engine is the same across the VW Group – so the engine in my Touran, would be the same as that in a T5 – but presumably a different gearbox etc. to deal with the variation in weight etc.

IHN

I’ve got a ’54 plate 1.9 104hp. It has 115k on the clock and has been faultless, and it ran on a tank that was a third full of unleaded once 😳

catvet
    Free Member

Have a look at the Brickyard site
    I had 2.5 l 130 6 speed and it had noticeably more grunt than the 104 5 speed ( new shape ) I have now
    But that engines Achilles heel is the fact the water pump and the power steering pump are within the sump. If the seals on either go it’s expensive
    An alternator is front of van off to get at too
    Cost of either around £800 ouch

catvet
    Free Member

Not sure all the engines are the same

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘VW T5 engines… Which one?’ is closed to new replies.