Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • VW T versus Ford Transit
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

most trades round my way use vivaro/trafic not transit. Transit’s rust in a couple of years (not so sure about the new ones yet).

mark90 – picking up a trafic crew (double cab) lwb on Sat. tax is 220 per year and insurance is the same as the car it replaces.

mark90
    Free Member

Think £220 is the plg rate, so likely classed as N1 commercial vehicle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only time ive seen newer transits rust is when tradies havnt had the site damage repaired.

We ran a p reg smiley to 120k over 12 years and it was rusty only on the back door where a bad repair had been done and on the piller that got stoved in in the same incident

Our last transit was 5 years old when we got rid, no rust damage. 180k on the clock- my dad is fastidious about keeping his vehicles clean though- once every two weeks they get. A hand wash

In the process of repairing a sill on a mates transit its 15 years old with 180k on the clock and the sill has only just holed through! Above the cab could do with a good rub and spray mind you but its not as bad as folks make out. Ive seen my share of rusty transporters as well – t4s. How ever lets use the 00 merc vans as a base line for badly rusty vans 🙂

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

If you have an iPhone you are more likely to purchase a transporter. Fact. 😉

Marin
    Free Member

Ha ha I’m on pay as you go hence an old T4.

blastit
    Free Member

I think the T5 and T4 break down far more often than other vans as they have huge forums advising of how to repair them. The Transit etc don’t seem to need this backup.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I just got stung with my trafic crew, assumed it was M1 (not got V5c doc yet) but got a speeding ticket for doing 60 in a 60 limit, but class in N1, so my limit is only 50.
    Any idea if it is possible to get class changed to M1?

Got V5C today and it says number of seats is 2, when it is really 6.

alpin
    Free Member

Well I’ve had my 2008 t5 for three weeks now and am more than happy. 132bhp, over 1000km on one tank (approx <10€/100km), 38mpg average with lots of alpine driving and a bit of motorway. Pulls nicely making overtaking of caravans and motorhomes a breeze. LWB means there’s enough room behind the 2nd row for me and the GF to sleep.
    Driving position is comfy and cruise control a great plus. Oh, and it’ll sit at 150mpg without any problems… Admittedly the mpg dives, but I’m in Germany so it has to be done occasionally. 🙂

Currently dicing with death as I’m driving a Jumper around that keeps cutting out when you accelerate. Oh, the seating position is crap and my foot keeps going numb.

rickon
    Free Member

Ive had a MK7 57 plate Transit for 4 years, ive done 60k miles, its needed a set of tyres and a fee bulbs. Passed every MOT without a warning.

Totsl cost of ownership has been incredibly small, and its almost worth what I paid for it 4 years ago. The last garage that MOT’d offered to buy it off me.

Cheaper than a VW,bonkers reliable, more space and pretty nippy at 140bhp.

ElShalimo

This thread needs some pictures!

spooky_b329

chriswilk, was that a ticket from someone with a gun, or from a static camera? Wasn’t sure if the fixed ones check plates to determine speed limit?

CountZero

While I’m not in the market, I just had a look at Transit Customs, and I like the look of this: http://www.whatvan.co.uk/test-drives/first-drive/first-drive-ford-transit-custom-sport
    http://cars.aol.co.uk/2014/01/05/road-test-ford-transit-custom-sport-van/
    With 155bhp on tap it should be fairly nippy.

neilforrow

I’m in the market for a new van, and considering both of these. But what about vitos? Yes the older ons are known for bing rot boxes, but the newer ones?

failedengineer

We’ve got a Vito Sport X at work with about 200BHP plus at work, leather seats etc. Also a T5 Synchro (4 x 4)in a fairly basic spec. They both feel like and drive like, vans. The Merc is fast, nice auto box, but noisy. The VW is pretty grim, IMHO.

chriswilk
    Free Member

spooky b329 – it was a mobile camera unit.
    I’d made sure I was doing 60, ‘cos I thought that was my limit.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘VW T versus Ford Transit’ is closed to new replies.