• This topic has 282 replies, 91 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 283 total)
  • VW Golf R…………estate!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes, notice the flashy lights and lots of intensive driver training that goes on before they are allowed to even think about “making progress”

molgrips
    Free Member

So are you the only person with the judgement and discretion to be able to decide when it’s safe?

That’s not what I meant. I mean that in a normal car, overtaking a tractor is not an issue. Whoever it was who posted it seemed to consider it some nightmare scenario that only 300bhp could save. It’s not, and such scenarios don’t really exist.

Let’s face it. People want fast cars because driving fast is fun. End of. Driving fast is also more dangerous. And fast cars use more fuel. So people ignore the downsides or make excuses for them. Nothing more to say.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Accelerating and overtaking are perfectly legal.

Yeh, but it does make you look like a bit of a bellend. Especially if you’re five cars back and you’re driving a thirty thousand pound bright red volkswagen golf.

Scamper
    Free Member

There are some pretty cheap contract hire deals around on the hatch version – due to the residuals. In time no doubt with this version too

simon_g

Mboy > interiors clean up fine. The alternative is driving a miserable diesel all the time while your “fun” car languishes in the garage for the odd occasion when you fancy driving it but don’t need to carry people or things.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s not really ‘having £30k to spend on a car’ though is it, it’s the £300 plus a month that you pay to lease them. Which seems pretty reasonable for that kind of performance.

simon_g

As for filthy performance estates, they clean up fine:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311796

It’s a car for gods sake, whether it cost £8k or £80k just use it, it’ll clean up no problem.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I like the Golf R but if this car is mid £40’s that’s the same money as a new Porsche Macan (assuming you don’t mond waiting 1-2 years to get one)

pixelmix
    Free Member

like the Golf R but if this car is mid £40’s that’s the same money as a new Porsche Macan (assuming you don’t mond waiting 1-2 years to get one)

Who said mid 40s? It is likely to be a smidge over £30,000 based on current R prices, and since they are well specced, personally I wouldn’t add anything to it. I reckon it will probably handle better and be faster than a £40k Macan too.

I should like this on paper (drive a 5 door GTI which is just big enough for holidays with child in tow) but the looks are a bit meh for my taste. Having seen this touted last year, I briefly thought about it, but I’m glad we didn’t bother waiting.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pixel – I saw mid 40’s quoted on the thread. I googled VW site and yes low/mid 30’s sees more likely.

FWIW I’d pay a £10k premium for the Porsche over VW, I’d pay the extra for the Audi too.

stumpy01

eat_more_cheese – Member
    I like the golf R, but that looks mince. Kinda like a Saab 9-3 estate with a small nose

Hmmmm, He’s got a point.
    It’s not exactly a looker, is it?

Focus ST Estate for me (if I was looking for this kind of thing).

All this talk about overtaking multiple cars quickly though – sounds like the torque of a chunky diesel would be ideal for that….? 😉

legend
    Free Member

I find paying attention and being in the right gear is even better 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

If I could afford a new Golf R, I wouldn’t buy a new Golf R.

I would however, love to buy a Mk2 Golf 16v…

joolsburger
    Free Member

Golfs are shite.

There I’ve said it. For the same money there are so many better cars and as for the dealers…….

richmtb

Might be a good s/h buy in a few years time. Cupra estate is on its way too which will be even better value and does away with the pointless quad exhausts

Edukator
    Free Member

I still marvel at these threads on bike sites and will add my usual contribution:

Fit all cars with a limiter set to the national speed limit and track every car the way some young drivers have their cars tracked to reduce the insurance premium. A black box in every car too obviously.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll
    I still marvel at these threads on bike sites and will add my usual contribution:

Fit all cars with a limiter set to the national speed limit and track every car the way some young drivers have their cars tracked to reduce the insurance premium. A black box in every car too obviously.

Lives up to forum name….

the-muffin-man

Why spend 30k when this starts at 23k!?…

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll

was just about to bite there too… now, wouldn’t i have looked silly 😀

stumpy01

the-muffin-man – if only someone had mentioned that 7hrs ago!! 😀

On the matter of cost, someone will be along in a minute to mention that in 3yrs time, the Focus will be worth 49p and a bag of haribo, while the Golf will still be worth £30k.

the-muffin-man

the-muffin-man – if only someone had mentioned that 7hrs ago!!

Oops – I only look at pictures – in true STW style I can’t be bothered to read the whole thread!

moshimonster
    Free Member

fast – yes
    practical – reasonably, nothing special
    fun – about as fun as a dull Euro box could be with a 4 pot turbo

So no, I’m not that impressed overall. I could imagine running one, but it’s a bit overkill for a small family wagon. I tend to keep family estates and sportscars as separate entities, but if I was forced to have just one car, it would need to be bigger than this.

toby1

Let’s face it. People want fast cars because driving fast is fun. End of. Driving fast is also more dangerous. And fast cars use more fuel. So people ignore the downsides or make excuses for them. Nothing more to say.

I resemble that remark.

michaelbowden

My car has more cylinders than tailpipes, does that mean it’s OK by STW standards?

Oh and I’m not much of a fan of Golfs either.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Unlikely to have much effect though is it? Afterall if all you do is limit the speed to 70 mph, you will still be able to do excessive speed in towns and cities.

Edukator
    Free Member

I think the tracker informing your insurance company how you drive and the knowledge that the black box data would be available to the police in the case of a collision would be enough to calm down a lot of people. A car incapable of doing more than 70mph is useless as a get-away vehicle, go-fast drug-running vehicle or even for overtaking cars already doing 60mph on B roads.

Edit: being a passenger with my brother-in-law in his own car or his son’s with the insurance tracker is a totally different experience.

djglover
    Free Member

Not my cup of tea, I’d rather have a bmw 335i xdrive touring. Rather still have the rwd version so I could pull some good skids

ourmaninthenorth

There are some pretty cheap contract hire deals around on the hatch version – due to the residuals. In time no doubt with this version too

I’ve dithered too long and seem to have missed them.

What I really want is an estate. In which case, it’s really unlikely to be a Golf (in R form or otherwise). So a silly Audi seems like the obvious STW Approved(tm) option (am staring enviously at s/h Audi S6s, which have “won’t anyone think of the children” written all over them….).

molgrips
    Free Member

am staring enviously at s/h Audi S6s, which have “won’t anyone think of the children” written all over them

That would be funny if it weren’t for the actual children actually dying…

moshimonster
    Free Member

“won’t anyone think of the children driving license”

FTFY

peterfile
    Free Member

So a silly Audi seems like the obvious STW Approved(tm) option (am staring enviously at s/h Audi S6s, which have “won’t anyone think of the children” written all over them….).

Mrs PF works for Audi. I’ve been worryingly close on a number of occasions to picking up an S4 Avant but can’t work out what it is I don’t like about it. Was fast mind you.

jimjam
    Free Member

peterfile

Mrs PF works for Audi. I’ve been worryingly close on a number of occasions to picking up an S4 Avant but can’t work out what it is I don’t like about it. Was fast mind you.

Must be all the children who spontaneously drop dead when you purchase one. But for me I’d imagine it’d be the fact it’s not an RS6.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Looks rubbish, expensive for what it is, not that practical…

unovolo
    Free Member

Now if I needed a fast 4WD estate car(doesnt everyone?) I’d be on the look out for a nice tidy one of these:

And save myself anywhere between £10 & 15k on the Golf,plus its so much betterer looking.

jimjam
    Free Member

unovolo
    Now if I needed a fast 4WD estate car(doesnt everyone?) I’d be on the look out for a nice tidy one of these:

And save myself anywhere between £10 & 15k on the Golf,plus its so much betterer looking.

It would be interesting to see how that played out over 5 years or so of daily driving. The Golf will most likely lose a lot of it’s value. Looked after, the Audi will probably go up in value. I think it would be luck of the draw, as to how much money you’d need to spend on the Audi though.

agent007
    Free Member

Or how about one of these:

4WD (proper 50/50 quattro, not haldex), 380hp standard, 4-500hp with simple remap and a few minor mods and more modern than the RS2. Half the price of that £30k Golf and no longer depreciating.

Just the perfect car for overtaking (rapidly and all in one go) a 20mph procession made up of a tractor, a couple of articulated lorries, a hesitant Molgrips, plus around 8-10 other cars, in wet, greasy, sleeting conditions, whilst loaded up with a large wardrobe and couple of barking Labradors in the back.

legend
    Free Member

a large wardrobe

Definitely a troll

tron
    Free Member

Having had owned the 1st 4WD Golf, I can say they are a lot of fun and AWD is very useful in the wet

A Golf Country or a G60?

transition1
    Free Member

Audi RS3 sport back. Get the 2.5L rather than the 2l in the Golf R

ourmaninthenorth

RS2 too many special parts to want to put 20k a year on.

RS4 nice, but not big enough for a proper estate (quite so, legend). And I prefer the slightly more, but still licence-shredding, Q car appeal of the S6.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf R…………estate!’ is closed to new replies.