Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • VW Golf Owners expertise please.
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

I have a mk4 golf tdi 130 160k miles and yesterday the traction control and brake warning light came on and stayed on. I drove home wondering if the brakes were going to fail on me when I needed them. It’s being looked
    today.

Anyhow ideas as what it could be? Sensor? Consoles? Braking system?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Broken brake pad wear cable (but this didn’t put the TC lamp on ours though) or some other failed sensor. Needs plugging in to VAGCOM (or whatever the latest version is) to find out.

footflaps

ABS sensor, probably, as they are used for traction control…

hora
    Free Member

I drove my Puma for 9months with failed ABS and TC. When a sensor fails it triggers the light. If the dealer/garage suggests an expensive fix I’d look at the sensor route first (c£150 max).

wisepranker
    Free Member

Had the same problem on my Sisters’s mk4 and it was down to a faulty stop light switch.
    Cost about £10 to replace.

Dai
    Free Member

Probably be the G201 brake pressure sensor. It’s integrated into the ABS unit. Repair kits are available now, about £120 plus an hours labour should cover it.

RustyMac

Check and see if your brake lights are working.

I had a similar problem on my Polo and there is a common problem with the brake pedal sensor, think it is on rev G or H now.

Good news is if it is the brake pedal sensor then it is only a few pounds for a replacement.

jimmy

My ‘workshop’ warning light came on and I feared a pricey trip to the garage – turned out to be a blown rear bulb, £5. Get it checked either way – if it is more serious it won’t go away…

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Thanks for the info

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Garage has just called to say that the diagnostics are pointing to a nearside rear speed sensor, no more than £45.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf Owners expertise please.’ is closed to new replies.