Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • VW Golf Mk6 cam chain and clunking noises
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Any mechanics be able to help me out?

I have a 2010 mk6 1.4tsi petrol Golf. It has 43,000 on the clock and has just started with a clicking noise when idle that sounds like a bike chain spinning. I assume it needs a cam chain replacement right?

Secondly, when I turn the car left, just before full lock, there is a really loud clunking noise. There is also a horrible this when going over speed bumps or potholes.

Any ideas of what this might be? Even better any idea of a ball park worst case figure?

I know without seeing the car that’s hard but I’ve heard vw will charge an investigation fee to even look at it.

Thanks for any help.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Turning the wheel and clunking noise sounds as though a suspension spring could be cracked, or the bearing(?) for the spring has worn out – pretty sure I had something similar on a Mk2 Golf GTI once.

Don’t know about the clicking noise although looking at the horror stories of timing chains on 1.4tsi engines I’d get it checked pdq.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I’m getting a bit anxious about the timing chain. I’ll ring Monday and get it booked

monkeychild
    Free Member

I think the earlier 1.4 TSI had issues with the cam chain tensioners and lifters?

Is it a twin charged 1.4?? As these are well known to be problematic.eek

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

No it’s the standard TSI not the super charged model.

I’m still worried. This could be a bit costly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP clunking when turning could be the cv joints on fhe fwd – years ago these used to go on older Golfs I had and knocking when turning was very symptomatic

Cam belt should go easily to 60,000 change but certainly needs looking at. Random thought how is your oil level ?

cbike
    Free Member

Clunking could be any one of many suspension components – I had drop links replaced that made similar clunky sounds to a CV joint failing. Find a big car park if you want to diagnose further but mechanics are quicker.

Just get it serviced and repaired and they won’t charge investigation fee.

This is how you maintain reliability. Ignore odd noises at your peril.

I estimate – £600ish upwards plus VW tax if serious. £300ish plus VW tax if its more simple components.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Is that with the cam chain and water pump too?

jambalaya
    Free Member

2010 car you can take to a good independent unless you want full vag history. BTW I am no mechanic just a punter 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good vw independent garage around the Stockport area?

pacerc200
    Free Member

Does the car have a service history?
    Take it to a dealer there is a good chance of goodwill from VW, if dealer says no get on to VW customer services.
    Have see issues when the oil filter is changed and a seal is left stuck in the housing, this often happens with cheap filters and inexperience mechanics doing the job

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So… VW want £92 to even look at it 🙁

They’ve also quoted £479 for the timing belt and water pump. Does that sound right?

That’s £600 already without the clunk even taken into account.

I’m tempted just to sell the car as is and put the money into a new (used) one but from somewhere that offers 12 months warranty.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf Mk6 cam chain and clunking noises’ is closed to new replies.