Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • VW Golf Mk3 sticky gearbox question
  • Aus
    Free Member

Just picked up a Mk3, v low miles and by the look of the last few MOTs, it’s done next to 0 miles over the last few years. Totally original, and great condition, overall mileage is 40K with one owner. I reckon it’s been garaged for the last few years. No documentation of recent service record. But a receipt of a new clutch in 1997!

Once it warms up, the gearbox gets pretty sticky. It’s absolutely smooth/easy with the engine off, slotting into all gears and reverse with no effort. But when running, it’s often tricky. Only just picked the car up but had a quick look under the gear stick cover and it’s mint, greased, all very nice looking. Likewise, seems to me to look OK at the back of the engine. The engine oil does look a bit grubby – no idea when last changed.

Any clues of what it might be? Thanks

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Maybe change gear box oil. Ask on a VW golf forum, it might be a common issue or caused by being laid up.

tron
    Free Member

We had a 1.6 Mk3 Golf. The gearbox got sticky, seemed to point towards the gearbox / synchros being on the way out, so we got rid.

That was at just under 150000 miles. The car looked pretty tidy even then – the only giveaway of the 70k we’d put on it was that the driver’s seat foam was pretty flattened. Are you sure of the mileage?

BadlyWiredDog

Might be the clutch dragging when the plates heat up and expand slightly so they don’t disengage. I’d check the adjustment, lubricate any linkages/cable mechanisms, if it’s like a Mk2 there may be an irritating ‘self-adjusting’ cable – is it cable operated, I can’t remember, I properly hated the Mk3 GTi I ran for a year – etc. Which model Mk3 is it? I think some have hydraulic clutches, some use cables.

The Club GTi forum’s good for stuff like this, might be worth asking there. You can check the MoT history online at the gov.uk site: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history btw, might at the least give you an idea of recent faults etc.

drewd

I had a run out model 1998 Mk3 Golf GTI 8 valve a couple of years back and that had a cable operated clutch so I would expect this one to be cable too.

I never had a problem with mine, but I know the gear selector bushes can be problematic on these. The parts are cheap but a bit fiddly ti fit I am told. I am not sure if that’s the problem you have though. As mentioned I would change the gear box oil and go from there.

Have a good look around the sills, rear arches and the floor to make sure it’s as solid as you think it is. I’ve seen many mk3 golfs that look good at first glance but when you get underneath they are rotting away. Mine had three patches in the floor before I got it, and needed a sill after I got rid of it. I think it is still on the road now.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all. It’s a 1.4CL, all very basic! Mileage looks legit as have all the old MOTs and the checked the MOT website which tallies with the paperwork. Only advisories have been for tyre wear. The condition of the car, wear to seats etc suggest it’s low miles. Over the last 3 years, the car has covered <1K miles.

I’m hopeful that as it changes gear v smoothly with the engine off, it’s gearbox oil/adjustment stuff rather than something major!

porter_jamie

Hi. Difficult to engage gear. Clutch not disengaged properly. Bleed the clutch if it’s hydraulic. Make sure the carpet isn’t I the way.
    Or the syncs could be knackered but for all of them to be equally knackered is unlikely. I’d start with bleeding.

somafunk

Check for a worn rear gearbox mount, if this is worn you’ll find it hard to change gear when the engine is running, which can be compounded by worn gear-lever to gearbox links – a kit to replace these is only £20ish and easy to fit.

Aus
    Free Member

Again, thanks. It’s cable operated, can’t see an easy adjustment method. Sprayed some PTFE in cable outer, fiddled and drove for 15mins, lots of gear changing and all was fine. Possibly the major thing was sliding the carpet mat from under the clutch 😳 am wondering if this was just preventing the pedal going down far enough

slackalice
    Free Member

Looks like you’ve got it sorted. From memory, they are cable clutch and gear select, so use it and it will probably free off – along with moving the footwell carpet mat! 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf Mk3 sticky gearbox question’ is closed to new replies.