• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • VW Golf – Audi A3 bike carrying question
  • swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

In the hunt for another car but needs to be able to at least get one or two MTB bikes in it / on it.

Any body any experience of using a MK5 golf or Audi A3

cheers in advance

bigbloke
    Free Member

Mate had an A3, managed 2 bikes plus gear in back but involved folded rear seats and a bit of faffing. I personally use roof carrier thule 561 fork mounted type which feels secure leaves plenty of room inside car for more car sharing or luggage etc etc.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I used to get two bikes (wheels and bars off), a (very) large tent and biking and surfing gear for a week in the back of our Mark IV Golf with both seats down, but it was a squeeze and up to the roof line.

Without the camping gear I could also get both bikes in with only the wide part of the split back seat down (ie still room for a rear seat passenger.

Mark V is not too different size wise so reckon you’d be OK.

We also used a Saris Bones rack for short day trips when it was OK to carry the bikes outside – worked great.

The days of squeezing stuff into every nook and cranny are however, over since we bought this :-):

martymac

+1 for roof bars, coz they dont remove paint off both bikes, also they dont deposit oil/mud/dog eggs on the roof lining inside the car.
    bad points are, you cant use the drive thru at a fast food emporium, and its not really secure to allow the vehicle out of sight (depends on area).
    i have heard various opinions on the extra fuel used with roof bars and a couple of bikes, but personally, i havent noticed a big difference. (my car is diesel, maybe petrol is different).

organic355
    Free Member

I can get 2 bikes and a roof box on my A3 with thule bars.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I can get 4 bikes a tag along and a bike trailer in the back of our a3.

andyl
    Free Member

I have 3 bikes easy on a Peugeot 306 using 2x thule 591 and a front wheel off jobby for the carbon framed one.

I’d be tempted to go for all front wheel off just to keep the height low but then you have to store 3 wheels somewhere. You can get roof mounts for wheels but they seem like a waste.

If you stick the bikes in the car get something like these to keep your chain and brakes from getting messed up: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=334

GJP
    Free Member

A3 is a bit tight in my opinion for bikes compared with the Golf Mark IV. I opted for a A3 sportback when I shifted the Golf on. Me and roof bars simply do not get on.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

A3 sportback here. Usually 2 bikes on roof with Thule roof bars and 591 (i think) cycle racks.
    On quite a few occasions I have also had 1 bike in the boot with the 2/3 split seat down, so 3 people and 3 bikes.
    Should be able to get 2 in the back with seats down fairly easily.

JamesM
    Free Member

Mk6 Golf here.
    The rear seats don’t fold down flat, but not having owned a Mk5 I can’t say this isn’t the case there. However, it’s a feature that might put you off.
    Having said that you can still get two medium frame full-sussers, wheels off in the Mk 6, plus kit enough for a day run. You just need an old blanket or two for protection.

legend
    Free Member

tow bar + tow bar rack (wheel support especially) ftw – unless you’re getting an R32, then you’re screwed

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Used to get 3 bikes, 3 people and kit inside a 3-door A3 quite easily.

That was the older shape, mind you (X reg).

Drac

Had Mk V and now on Mk VI Golf, you can get a bike in the back with wheels with seats down but yes they don’t go completely flat. Easily get 3 on the roof with 591 carriers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf – Audi A3 bike carrying question’ is closed to new replies.