Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • vw camper rack help required
  • italspark
    Free Member

ive just bought a t5 campervan with twin rear doors, my problem is the max. weight capacity for the hinges is 35kgs,and i want to carry 2 adult and 1 kids bike.
    fiamma only make a 2 bike rack which they say i cant extend to a 3 bike,
    i need rear door access because its a "A" plan van i.e. rear kitchen type
    i have thought of a swingout tow bar mount but havent seen one in action
    any suggestions

Stoner
    Free Member

you could probably mod a twin rail carrier with an extra rail fitted via a cantilever across the other two rails and adding a third, longer, holding arm.

Steelsreal

as long as you never open the doors with the bikes on then will there be a problem?

If it is, how about a tow bar mounted rack that slides back? Should clear the doors, but added expense of fitting a towbar if you don't have one already

Stoner
    Free Member

steel – the design for the 2 door rack is different to the tailgate version that can take more.

mos

TBH i would think that the hinges could take more than that.

Go out to your van, open the back door & dangle off it. I'll wager that it won't budge.

Stoner
    Free Member

mos – its not actually the weight thats the problem. In order to be able to open the doors the fiamma rack for a split door van hangs on one door only, and the frame is designed to only take two bikes.

The frame that will take 4 bikes has wider hangers that hang off the tailgate, but when fitted to a split door effectively lock the doors closed.

The only way I can see you can use a fiamma (and it assumes youre comfortable with the loads of 2+ a small bike on one closed door) is to buy a two bike rack but bodge a third bike tray on it with a third support arm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘vw camper rack help required’ is closed to new replies.