Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • VW Caddy maxi's – Anyone daily drive one?
  • swillybey
    Free Member

Hi all,
    My Octavia is getting a bit long in the tooth now and looking at my options.
    The caddy maxi looks like a good option as it has five seats, decent load space and fairly car-like.
    It would be my daily driver so does need to be practical for non-bike related duties.
    Anyone got one?

garage-dweller

I looked briefly and ruled it out.

Reviews were not kind to it (in areas that matters to me) and occupant safety rating wasn’t so good iirc (if that matters to you do check that I’m not talking out of my ****). I do a fair few miles so I’m back looking at large estates.

Edit. Sorry I know that doesn’t technically answer your question!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll start with the fact my daily drive used to be a transit…
    The caddy was a fine comfy place to sit though not exactly where all the VW van love comes from still. Hired one when I was back over for a week and probably did 150 miles per day with no complaints, was certainly a lot comfier to drive than the astra Sri I got the week before.

rOcKeTdOg

There’s one currently in the classifieds

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not all maxi have the second row of seats , and with the longer wheelbase why not get a taller van with better space

jonny-m
    Free Member

I drive a maxi life daily, the seven seat car/van version, had a few problems with mine, exhaust sensors, gearbox, egr valve etc, all sorted now so fingers crossed.
    still love it though, just!
    Bike straight in, seven good sized seats when needed, reasonable fuel economy, sliding doors, huge tail gate, comfortable drive.

bigh
    Free Member

I really like mine, a few minor niggles but nothing out of the ordinary. Does me for work and leisure, been to the French Alps a few times with four blokes,bikes and kit. I’d have another.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We’ve had ours 6+ years/45k miles. Not a daily commuter (we ride) but gets driven to France/Spain each year. I’ve not seen anything yet I’d swap it for.

1.95 height means it’s a standard vehicle on ferries and Chunnel. Narrower than a T5 or similar which makes it much easier to park.

Disadvantages –
    Agricultural rear suspension is shit on speed bumps but fine on motorways.
    Seats aren’t as good as you’d get in an estate for the same money.
    Interior plastics are a bit more van like if that bothers you and the general feel is definitely a bit less luxury than a VW or modern skoda.

swillybey
    Free Member

Thanks guys, all input appreciated really, if you’ve had any experience.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Trying to think of anything else.

A couple of other things that are ‘less refined’ – a bit of rattly interior trim (speaker on the dash, rear door lock) and a whistle from the large drivers side door mirror.

I don’t know what the refresh cycle is on the Caddy but the design has been around a while now – the Caddy Maxi was a later addition but even that’s basically 7 years old now. The underlying Caddy must be a few years older than that. I’d have thought a new version based on more recent running gear can’t be that many years away.

When I said nothing to replace it… the thing that is worth a look is the Ford Torneo.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘VW Caddy maxi's – Anyone daily drive one?’ is closed to new replies.