• This topic has 44 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • VW built me the wrong car !
  • GJP
    Free Member

Thanks for the constructive advice (a targeted thanks).

Dealer and I reached a very amicable agreement of 3 years free servicing, but would not budge on a new handbag and shoes 😆

All in all a win. A gloss black dash although more staid will not offend s/h buyers in a couple of years time.

So £20 a year road tax, costs about a a pint of beer a week to insure, petrol costs will not be more much than my water bill and now no servicing or other maintenance costs for a least 3 years.

Not exactly “bangernomics” but I have’t had a s/h car for nigh on the last 20 years. I know they have moved on a great deal in terms reliability, but my family still seem to be jinxed by them (albeit they have got some fascination with French cars and that may well be part of the problem)

toby1

GJP – the ‘French’ car thing doesn’t help. But to be honest buying German doesn’t guarantee anything these days either!

speaker2animals

The OP ordered a new car and to get the spec he requested he waited 2 months for it. Part of the spec is wrong. Why the F should he/she MTFU about it just because it is a colour? Yes it’s totally trivial but it is incorrect. It’s not like he’s buying 2nd hand and moaning. Is it any wonder we get the service we do in this country?

I really don’t think you can spray a dash board can you (I am unfamiliar with this car but am assuming the dash isn’t formed from metal, aren’t they usually plastic/imitation wood?

My first demand would be that it was corrected at the dealership is possible or at the factory along with a courtesy car for the duration of the time it takes for the work to be done.

I would consider taking it as supplied with a discount or Gift (and something you want not some gimmicky crap) and 3 years free servicing with parts. I would want the servicing guaranteed by VW themsleves. Dealers are franchises so I’d be very nervous to find that 12 months down the line the main dealer is a completely new business who have no commitment to you.

If they aren’t prepared to do that then I’d tell them to keep it and that you will be taking advice as to how to proceed in cancelling the car getting back and deposit and some compensation for your inconvenience.

mudshark
    Free Member

IIRC from my business law studies a minor difference like this would not mean the buyer could force the contract to be cancelled. Compensation is the only realistic option.

GJP
    Free Member

s2s. Things were complicated by the fact that I had paid for the car in full earlier in the week and it had been registered in my name as the first owner when I went to collect it (obviously). i didn’t want to walk away after waiting 2 months, and no doubt then neither having a car nor my money until all resolved, but as you said it was disappointing that somewhere in the chain the order got screwed up.

Mudhshark has a point, the dealer;s contract as you would expect protected them against not being able to deliver the exact specification car, but how much scope is in this is not clear. You would assume they would need to deliver the right car and model designator and in the right colour, but factory fitted options they can say were not available and refund, a different colour dash was a zero price option, so it seems even less clear.

I believe the dealer has just offered me the standard VW £299 3 year servicing deal, but waived payment. Anyway I ensured I had something in writing. I think the dealer has been fair, they simply asked what I wanted to do and they gave me what I wanted.

As others have said no big deal on a £10k city car. If it happened on a £30k car that I had specified carefully then I may have felt very different.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘VW built me the wrong car !’ is closed to new replies.