Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • VW 2.5TDI PD 130PS (cambelt question)
  • LoveTubs
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’m thinking of buying a used one of these, swb transporters. The owner has just informed me that they don’t need to have their cambelts changing.

Can anyone ratify this statement…. and advise on anything else I should check for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

LT

jam-bo

Pretty sure a chap I know had an enormous recovery bill from t he south of France that proves you do…

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Umm, I’ve never heard of any car/van that did not require some sort of cam related service at the 80 to 90k phase (I don’t know about vans mind)….be it belt or chain???

honourablegeorge

I was under the impression that newer ones had a chain rather than a belt – but I wouldn’t swear to it.

takisawa2

There’s an Audi technician who frequents the Ford Galaxy forum who would probably know. And he had a deal set up with Stafford Audi for £249 for a belt change, but that was the 1.9/2.0 engine.

Steelsreal

the T5 2.5 has a “maintenance free” drivetrain, no belts or chains..

http://pierro777.free.fr/DOCVAG/2.5_TDI.pdf

shows loads of info on the engine…

Thers is a “freewheel” and an elastic drive that should be changed every 100k and is the same sort of price as a cambelt change £400-600

http://goo.gl/Hnbcf

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I thought the chain needed to be serviced too?? Think I need to conduct some deep googling on this one….

Cheers

mcmoonter
    Free Member

They may even have two, one at each end. One to drive the cam, the other to drive the pump.

wellhung
    Free Member

I’ve owned a T4 2.5TD, they do need a belt change, also they’re prone to the Woodruf key failing with obvious results.

Had my cam-belt changed along with the roller guides £350 but not the Woodruf key :cry:.

nealglover
    Free Member

What year is it ??

nealglover
    Free Member

Actually, the five cylinder T5’s (130ps upwards) have no cam belt or chain regardless of age.

They are gear driven so nothing to change.

The other thing to ask about is the Gates Couplings, depending on the mileage, they may need doing.
    (change every 150,000km)

Steelsreal

the 2.5 in a T4 is a totally different engine to the 2.5 in the T5

wellhung
    Free Member

I know, but the OP hadn’t stated which engine year his/her question was directed at 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

Id be more concerned about the clutch (DMF) failing due to crappy plastic flywheels or if its newer the diesel particulate filter (DPF)

GaVgAs
    Free Member

If its a T4 Change the waterpump, tensioner and theres a coolant housing at the back of the cam belt housing,inspect replace if cracked,while yer in there.

(The waterpump is driven off the cambelt,if the pump seizes it strips/**** the belt causing catastrophic damage to the engine).. 🙁

also the woodruff key cant fail, unless the crankshaft pully bolt is not torqued up properly 😯

daveb2251981
    Free Member

He is right they dont need anything changing it is driven by a chain. I worked for vw for 9 years the two small belt that do need changing are easy to do yourself if you have some mechanical knowledge just a case of undoing the ac pump and alternator and swinging them out of the way oh and a small engine bracket

steveh

nealglover is correct. No chain, no belt, gear driven cam on these so definitely nothing to be done.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Had a woodruff key go on a 1.9 tdi.

My 2.5 130 five cyl is gear driven. Good engine!

nealglover
    Free Member

wellhung – Member
    I know, but the OP hadn’t stated which engine year his/her question was directed at

It’s a 130ps.

So it’s not a T4 that’s for sure.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘VW 2.5TDI PD 130PS (cambelt question)’ is closed to new replies.