Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Voting for Policies not Personalities
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

At the risk of being banned or flamed etc, I urge everyone to put their preconceptions, entrenched loyalties and dislike of personalities aside and have a look at the following link:

Vote. Informed.

It’s illuminating and, in the case of one guy in my office who is apparently 75% Lib Dem and 25% UKIP, occasionally amusing…

kerley
    Free Member

I always vote for polices not personalities.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Fool’s paradise..

The amount of people that cannot see the wood for the trees is staggering.

zilog6128

If you want a democracy, you have to put up with people who are too stupid to vote objectively. Can’t have it both ways unfortunately.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Kind of removes the trust factor though doesn’t it?

Theresa “There won’t be a snap election” May?
    Paul “I was at Hillsborough” Nuttal?
    Boris “£350m a week for the NHS” Johnson?

Should we just blindly believe what they say they will do?

Trust is more important than policy IMHO, manifestos are routinely forgotten about without it ever being that big a deal.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Politicians lie and break promises and we wonder “what’s the point?”. However one of the parties out there will share your beliefs, your morals; they will stand up and fight for what you think is the right way to do things. They may make mistakes along the way and you may disagree with some of the things they do to get where you want society and this country to be. What’s important is that they share the same morals, values and destination with you. Vote for that party.

I wrote this – more or less word for word – at the last general election. I stand by those words, but it doesn’t make me feel any more positive about the political choices on offer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bugger it just make sure you actually vote

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Trust is more important than policy IMHO,

“We will **** you over big time” – you can trust the Tories to do that, would you vote for them if they just came out and said it?

mefty
    Free Member

Need to be pretty dumb to base your vote on the output of that website, certainly dumber than people who vote on personality.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What’s important is that they share the same morals, values and destination with you. Vote for that party.

Mine are shared roughly 1/3 each by Labour, Tories and Greens.
    Who should I vote for o wise one?

Drac

Yeah it’s pretty much what I expected but voting labour here won’t kick out the Tory horror we have.

At the risk of being banned

Not sure why you would think that.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Need to be pretty dumb to base your vote on the output of that website

Agreed, i’ve done 4, and as far as I can determine I should be smoking cannabis on a newly nationalised train on my way to bash some immigrants with a ukip flag before ripping off some old forgetful folks.

Or maybe i’ll stick with the original plan of making my own mind up.

Drac

Agreed, i’ve done 4, and as far as I can determine I should be smoking cannabis on a newly nationalised train on my way to bash some immigrants with a ukip flag before ripping off some old forgetful folks.

Yup lots of keywords.

Brexit
    EU
    Immigrants
    Drugs
    Terrorists
    Extremism

outofbreath
    Free Member

Should we just blindly believe what they say they will do?

That’s the flaw in policy websites.

You see it most starkly on the small parties that know they will never see office – they can just promise the moon on the stick knowing they’ll never be called on it.

Sadly, you have to do your own spadework. 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The party that you think is the best choice for society as a whole…What’s important is that they share the same morals, values and destination with you. Vote for that party.

Mine are shared roughly 1/3 each by Labour, Tories and Greens.
    Who should I vote for o wise one?

If you really are pulled 3 different ways, vote Lib Dem 🙂

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If you want a democracy, you have to put up with people who are too stupid to vote objectively. Can’t have it both ways unfortunately.

Yup this is the reality. Surprising how many people would be prepared to suspend democracy (well theoretically having no power to do so) when it doesn’t go their way.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I knew I’d a get a very mixed result as every party has individual polices I disagree with, grouped with ones I do. Was surprised to have the Greens and Conservatives on equal footing with the highest percentages of 27.3%

Huh there you go.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I vote for the local candidate who I think will represent me best in parliament and on their policies for the local economy and community. The representative part plays into party politics, but if I want the country to do X and a local candidate will be the best voice for my opinion then I vote for them.

Sadly we’ve ditched the fundamental key part of British parliamentary democracy and now just vote for a president in all but name, or at a push party policies but this time round it will just come down to Brexit and terrorism (the two being related).

mechanicaldope

Not sure I like my results… 30:30:20:10:10 Conservative:Green:LibDem:Labour:UKIP. Was expecting Labour to be where the Conservatives are and vice versa… Hmm… Maybe I shouldn’t vote…

johndoh
    Free Member

Boris “£350m a week for the NHS” Johnson?

This is what me and my wife were discussing last night – we cannot believe a word any one of them say as just the morning after the Brexit vote the ‘Leave’ lot were backtracking on that promise.

I am still not sure who I am voting for, but on the face of it Corbyn seems to be the most honest of the lot – he just seems to be someone who wants the best for the majority. If the reality could match his promises/outlook I think the country would be a much nicer place.

chakaping
    Free Member

20 minutes and the **** thing didn’t work.

Good job I already know how I have to vote.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Green. The rest split between LD/Lab

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’m lucky. My MP represents the party I’d vote for anyway and he seems to give a sh*t about his constituents so on policies I’d voe for him. he’s also a trained cordon bleue chef and used to run motorcycle tours in the himalayas, so gets it on personality as well

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Voting for Policies not Personalities’ is closed to new replies.