Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • voluntarily running 7 speed on a road bike.
  • Retrodirect
    Free Member

Has anyone here voluntarily chose to run 1×7 instead of 1×10 or the latest thing?

I’m building a road bike from my bits box. The only thing I’m missing is sti’s and have been offered two sets, a 10 speed or 7 speed.

I’m attracted to the 7 speed because the chains and cassettes last longer.

Anyone ever done a voluntary downgrade?

amedias
    Free Member

yep, I have RSX 7speed STIs on my winter bike, love the way they feel, very positive and just perfect for cold hands and shitty wet rides, on a normal hub but with a spacer on the freehub, it’s much more tolerant of dirt and build up of drivetrain detritus, and lasts for ages, although not sure longevity is actually any better than modern stuff but chains and cassettes cost peanuts to replace when it does wear out.

I have a pair of RX100 8speeds in the parts box for if I ever break or wear these ones out. Have modern 10sp stuff on the other bike but although its smoother and quicker shifting I don’t like the feel as much.

I probably wouldn’t feel as inclined to use more modern 7sp STIs like Sora or 2300 with the thumb paddle on the hood, a lot more plasticy and sloppy than the older STIs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run 8 speed, I doubt the transmission lasts much longer but the shifting is more tolerant of cable friction etc.

10s will give you much smaller jumps of course. There may be little choice in 7s cassette ratios.

TheBrick
    Free Member

My geared road bike (been in bit for about 3 years) is 7 speed and never had any problems tbh.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘voluntarily running 7 speed on a road bike.’ is closed to new replies.