• This topic has 52 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Volume OCD – I think i have it
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

I cannot leave the tv/audio volume on an odd number. It freaks me out. To the point where I will pick up the remote and change the volume by 1 to leave it on a nice clean even number.

11 is a no-no
    13 is the worst
    15 is ok as its half way between 10 and 20
    19 is right out.

Am I weird? I suspect I not the only person with this obsession.

jam-bo

what do you think will happen if you don’t change it?

legend
    Free Member

You can hear the sirens* from the official STW OCD Police on their way….

*probs set at an odd number just to **** with you

zilog6128

How do you know when you turn on the TV after someone else has used it? Do you have to change the volume just to find out what it was? What if you’ve changed it from something good to something bad? Do you have to spin round three times then turn all the lights on and off?

scotroutes

Primist!

sandwicheater

I cannot leave the tv/audio volume on an odd number. It freaks me out. To the point where I will pick up the remote and change the volume by 1 to leave it on a nice clean even number.

OMG, i thought i was the only one! My wife changes the volume just to wind me up. Annoyingly thing is, 11 in the car at 70 is about perfect BUT, i still set it to 10 or 12. Yes yes, i’m an idiot.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Then did he raise on high the Holy TV Remote of Antioch, saying, “Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst change thine channels and alterest thy volume, in thy mercy.”
    And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals … Now did the Lord say, “First thou pressest thy Holy Button. Then thou must count to Eighteen. Eighteen shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be Eighteen. Twenty shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count Seventeen, excepting that thou then proceedeth to Eighteen. Nineteen is right out. Once the number Eighteen, being the number of the counting, be reached, then pointest thou the Holy TV Remote in the direction of thine Telly, who, being obedient in my sight, shall comply.”

miketually
    Free Member

That’s perfectly acceptable. If I’m watching TV, the volume is on 8, 10 or 12 while my kids and wife seem to need mid-twenties.

(Liberal forum police: OCD is a debilitating mental health condition, not just liking even numbers or folding your underpants in a specific way.)

scuttler

You can buy stuff that just has a sliding scale rather than a number. Stick that at #1 in your buying criteria. Numbers for volume are utterly pointless anyway and indicative of poor design, second only to UIs that use exclamation marks when a particular task** has completed so your OCD will serve you well.

** Tuning is now complete! Your backup has now completed!

scuttler

Got to throw this in too, to freak you out even more.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc[/video]

trailwagger
    Free Member

OMG, i thought i was the only one! My wife changes the volume just to wind me up. Annoyingly thing is, 11 in the car at 70 is about perfect BUT, i still set it to 10 or 12. Yes yes, i’m an idiot.

I knew it!!

oikeith

I too can only have the TV or car stereo on an even number, odd numbers are not allowed…

trailwagger
    Free Member

I too can only have the TV or car stereo on an even number, odd numbers are not allowed…

That makes three of us, time to start a society!

JAG

I cannot leave the tv/audio volume on an odd number

That’s Four…. yeah me too 😳 🙄

sandwicheater

start a society

Not with three of us we cant, just feels weird.

Will we have to disband the society each time we get odd member numbers?

EDIT: Phew, four will do.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, car is at ten when I’m in it. If someone else is talking then it’s 5 or off. Nothing else is allowed.

I don’t think anything bad will happen if I don’t, it’s just the way I want it.

cranberry
    Free Member

An even number is simply neater than an odd one.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Thinking about it, I often have a similar thing when riding. If my trip computer say 39 miles as I am approaching home I will go around the block a couple of times to round it up.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Primist!

Primes, or other odd numbers with ‘special’ characteristics, I can deal with as there is some justification. Otherwise, odd numbers can **** right off!!

what do you think will happen if you don’t change it?

It’s not what will happen; it’s how it makes you feel. Uncomfortable and twitchy is how of describe it.

Nothing rational going on there at all :/

Mister-P
    Free Member

Rounding up a ride isn’t OCD, it’s perfectly normal behaviour. Why would you finish on 39.6 when you could circle a bit and be able to say you completed a 40 mile ride?

thepurist

@MisterP – I just assume my bike computer/phone/military grade GPS tracker has been under reading so no need for any of that extra riding malarkey.

miketually
    Free Member

Our local Park Run is 4.9km

Why would anyone allow that?!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M would say “PARDON, he’s got the bloody TV turned up to 11 again, I can’t hear a word your saying”

perchypanther
    Free Member

A warning to all those who can’t deal with odd numbers.

Under no circumstances should you ever count your penises.
    This could ruin your life.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It’s the DAB radio I’m sat listening to now that drives me mad. The volume increments are too big, it’s either too loud or too quite for me.

theotherjonv

me too.

1-4 don’t exist basically because you can’t hear it. 5 is the lowest it can be otherwise it’s off. 5 is used when you want it on in case a good tune comes on and then you can turn it up, but it is not a listening volume.

6 is pointless because it’s same as 5, can’t have 7 for obvious reasons so 8 is feasible but by the time you get to 8 you may as well have 10.

After 10; 12 is acceptable, a bit louder than 10 but then 14 isn’t because you may as well have 15. Likewise 16. So 18’s the next potential and even then, by the time you get to 18 you may as well have 20 which is getting to be too loud for when others are in the car, it’s for furious speed driving making progress, but within the speed limit obviously.

And then for really loud music, 25. It does go up to 30 but then the speakers distort and you can’t hear it properly anyway.

So there you have it. 30 volume settings of which 5, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 25 are the only acceptable ones. And in the interests of symmetry, I’m trying to do away with 12 too (but sadly that’s the perfect number for loud enough to hear but also have a conversation with passengers)

timidwheeler

I cannot leave the tv/audio volume on an odd number

Me too! I honestly thought I was the only person bothered by this. As a result my TV is either a bit too loud or a bit too quiet, but I’m prepared to accept this rather than have the volume on 11.

duffle
    Free Member

I just don’t look when I change the volume just stop when its reet.
    BUT….I cant abide 0.5’C settings on the cars climate control its got to be a whole number..not that I can tell the difference in half degree increments in temp though 😕

Cougar

You should come round to my house. My amp goes up in .5 increments, I can set the volume at -13.5 for you.

Numbers for volume are utterly pointless anyway

They are, but at least on my amp they actually mean something tangible rather than being arbitrary numbers – they’re decibels below full volume.

Drac

Try 17.

jam-bo

They are, but at least on my amp they actually mean something tangible rather than being arbitrary numbers – they’re decibels below full volume.

so why do you increment on a linear scale then? 😉

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Same – I don’t mind what the tv or radio is on when I first put it on, I don’t check, but if I have to turn it up or down it has to be an even number.

Also, when I hang my washing out – it’s one of those twurly pole line things, all my socks and pants have to be on one side. The wife just puts it all out randomly … madness!

user-removed
    Free Member

Slightly OT but my wife has the radio on in her car, at a volume just too quiet to hear properly. Drives me mad (pun intended).

Never noticed the volume in my car – change it using the steering wheel stalk thingy according to wind / traffic noise (AC doesn’t work).

But if I knock my toe on something when walking, I do have to knock the toe on the other foot at exactly the same level of force, so if you’ll have me, I’ll join the society too.

sirromj

I’m not a fan of odd numbered font sizes (apart from 9, 9 is alright).

gwaelod
    Free Member

What if you move telly a bit closer….

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Under no circumstances should you ever count your penises.
    This could ruin your life.

I reckon they’ll be ok as long as it is set to 10, 12 or off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    “Then did he raise on high the Holy TV Remote of Antioch, saying, “Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst change thine channels and alterest thy volume, in thy mercy.”
    And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals … Now did the Lord say, “First thou pressest thy Holy Button. Then thou must count to Eighteen. Eighteen shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be Eighteen. Twenty shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count Seventeen, excepting that thou then proceedeth to Eighteen. Nineteen is right out. Once the number Eighteen, being the number of the counting, be reached, then pointest thou the Holy TV Remote in the direction of thine Telly, who, being obedient in my sight, shall comply.”

I think this is worthy of a..

colournoise

Definitely odd habit rather than OCD, but anything like volume that can be adjusted with a numerical scale ‘has’ to be in multiples of 3.

lunge

Yep, me too. 5’s are OK, as are all even numbers, all odd numbers bar 5 are not on. If I had to choose a number it’d be 12, divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 (yes, and 12 if you’re feeling pedantic), solid number that.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Bravo Perchy. I read that in the voice of Mr Palin…for those under 40’s
    [video]https://youtu.be/xOrgLj9lOwk[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Volume OCD – I think i have it’ is closed to new replies.