Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Visual studio…..?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I might need to write a little app in C# to test something out. Presumably then I’ll need Visual Studio, but there are about a billion and a half versions.

I’ve got an MSDN subscription so I can help myself to whatever I choose, it seems, but the enterprise versions might be way too much for what I need and I might get scared. So, community editions?

JulianA
    Free Member

If you have access to the Enterprise versions for free then go for it and just use what you need to use.

The community edition is pretty useful though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Community Edition has a lot of stuff disabled or missing to offer it for free. If you’ve got MSDN, just go with Pro. Enterprise gives you all the team source control etc. Likely don’t need it unless you are in a team that uses it.

GrahamS

Comparison of the versions here:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs.aspx

Professional does most people just fine.

phiiiiil

Ages ago I tried the Enterprise one but it’s basically the Professional version but with loads of cruft I didn’t care about.

The Professional version does me fine at work and home.

molgrips
    Free Member

Got professional in the end. I feel some self education coming on.

aracer
    Free Member

Coming to this topic having just started one with the same name, I’ve just installed Community edition. Checking the chart posted by Graham, the only differences between that and Pro are teamworking stuff – none of which I’ve actually used when working in teams anyway TBH. Having upgraded from 2008 Pro, there’s certainly not anything I use which is missing.

You’re presumably thinking of the older Express versions which were crippled – it seems the Community edition is now a full fat version if you’re a sole developer – it’s simply not licensed for use within companies.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ooh, interesting – the old gear calculation software I wrote 15 years ago in Delphi needs updating, might well do it from scratch again so this’ll come in handy.

Unless anyone knows how to decompile an old Delphi program?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Visual studio…..?’ is closed to new replies.