• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Virtual touring
  • molgrips
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

It’s the Wi-fi kettle all over again.
    😉

This is quite interesting and I can think of a few applications, but you wouldn’t want to be stuck in a lift with him.

Actually, bet you a fiver he posts on here.
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Given it uses street view, I reckon it’d be fun just to ride around some random spot in the world whenever you wanted to turbo train. Would break up the monotony for sure.

tjagain

Call me odd buts whats wrong with just going out and riding your bike? Additional benefits like seeing the sun etc?

zilog6128

By nerds, for nerds, innit.

Everyone else can safely ignore it. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Call me odd buts whats wrong with just going out and riding your bike?

I knew you’d say that.

Turbo training is a popular training option for those who haven’t got time or facilities to get out regularly in the evenings after work for example. This is simply a novelty that makes turbo training more fun. No-one’s suggesting it is comparable with real biking, that would be silly.

tjagain

I just don’t get it. if you have the time to ride a bike in VR you have the time to ride it in real life.

RustySpanner

It would be great fun trying places you’d never otherwise ride.
    And good for people with mobility issues too.

He needs to work on adding smells and a spray bottle on the bars for the rainy bits.

You could get a friend to make car noises and run past really, really close, react disproportionately, get into a fight, film it all then post it on here.

P-Jay
    Free Member

tjagain – Member

I just don’t get it. if you have the time to ride a bike in VR you have the time to ride it in real life.

Okay, but not always the case exactly, you may have time to ride from your house around a crowed city, in the dark, that’s not the same as traveling to somewhere nice to ride, but I take your point.

It’s the same reason why I go to the Gym in the evenings during GMT rather than out on my bike, it’s cold, it’s dark and it’s usually miserable. Being cold and wet can ruin things for me, I’ve had the shittest day ever on the bike at BPW about 12 months ago, it was around 0c and pouring with rain all day, I was soaked unhappy, so I sodded off home before lunch.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can do intervals on your turbo in the just the time it takes to do the intervals and warm up. To ride outside, you have to get ready, make sure your lights are charged, then ride out to somewhere where the roads are suitable, possibly wait til rush hour is over, etc etc. Plus you might be sick to death of every shitty suburban road within 20 minutes of your house, which doesn’t make you want to get out in the cold rain after dinner and plod up and down them in heavy traffic.

Of course, on a nice sunny Saturday when you have no commitments it’d be ridiculous. But not everyone is riding then. Your life and desires aren’t the same as everyone else’s.

And good for people with mobility issues too.

Yep. People recovering from broken arms or collarbones and whatnot.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Generally, Social Services would take a dim view if you went out on your “real life” bike ride and left your kids alone at home in bed.

Not everyone has the freedom to go where they want, when they want.

“Real life” sometimes gets in the way.

thenorthwind

Generally, Social Services would take a dim view if you went out on your “real life” bike ride and left your kids alone at home in bed.

Shirley you’d just tell them some bloke on STW said it’s better and that’d be the end of it?

scotroutes

You could put Social Services off the scent by coming up with a good alibi. Just tell them you were with your mates in a nearby bistro.

As for the Turbo vs riding argument, if all you want to do is bimble then riding is fine. A turbo does let you carry out some more structured training.

Touring by Turbo though????

Rubber_Buccaneer

Surely there are better uses for VR?

That groinal attachment’s supposed to have a lifetime’s guarantee. You’ve worn it out in nearly three weeks.

tjagain

OK chaps – now I have some understanding – the kids one I can see.

atlaz
    Free Member

I mostly use the turbo as frozen roads and almost double digit negative temps (it was -14 the other week) don’t make for great training. Walked to the pub last night and it was -8 and very slippery; I’d have had issues going for a proper ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

Touring by Turbo though????

I think what the OP did was save his position and complete a virtual tour whilst doing his turb sessions. Can’t see anything wrong with that tbh. Would be a fun game to play whilst turboing.

Walked to the pub last night and it was -8 and very slippery; I’d have had issues going for a proper ride.

That’s what studded tyres are for 🙂

scotroutes

I think what the OP did was save his position and complete a virtual tour whilst doing his turb sessions. Can’t see anything wrong with that tbh. Would be a fun game to play whilst turboing.[/quote]I wonder if he stopped for a virtual cake though?

ctk
    Free Member

Another benefit is you could ride anywhere where google maps have been. Through York or New York etc. I have done turbo sessions before and found it incredibly boring this would be a bit better.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Virtual touring’ is closed to new replies.