Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Virgin TV (and broadband)
  • samuri
    Free Member

I’m probably being stupid but I don’t get it, hopefully someone can explain.

We’re getting one of the Phone/TV/Broadband bundles.
    The phone bit is fine.

Now for TV, if we get the standard box, can we record programs on it? Can we set up recording say for all series program or is all the stuff available on demand anyway? Or do we have to use iplayer and the like for this?

I’m happy to pay the extra 50 quid for a V+ box if that’s what we need to do but I’m really not interested in accessing iplayer and stuff through the tv, it’s just not clear how this all works.

For info, my wife would want to record some soaps and various programs ona weekly basis. I will probably want to record one or two specific things a week. We don;t need to be ableto keep them forever, just for a weekor so till we get time to watch them.

Now the broadband ‘virgin media hub’, can that be installed anywhere you want in the house and does it have wired ethernet ports? I’d much rather the hub be in the spare room where all the computers are, have them wired in and have wireless for our other devices.

Thanks.

j_me
    Free Member

Now for TV, if we get the standard box, can we record programs on it?

No, and therefore no to series record.

Or do we have to use iplayer and the like for this

Yes, you can get Iplayer 4OD etc, although they dont put everything up, you only get access for a week, they are sometimes inconsistent and miss episodes.

No idea about the virgin media hub.

samuri
    Free Member

just had an online chat with one of their reps, it wasn’t half as good as the online chats I normally have.

Anyway, the hub can be installed anywhere in the house and it does have ethernet ports so that’s good.

The TV is more difficult. We have to have the V+ box if we want to record programs, and that’s 5 quid extra a month but it’s free if we get the XL bundle.

That’s put me off a little bit, I’m going to look at alternatives.

Haze

The V+ box has been well worth the extra fiver in our house.

Pause live TV is a useful function, as is recording all the bits I want to watch while my beloved watches all her rubbish 😉

Plus I get to record lots of cycling (Eurosport) while I’m out at work during the day.

You’ll get a lot of HD content on the XL package too.

Customer service was appalling when we were getting set up, mainly down to problems with the phone number port – TV and broadband were installed without a hitch.

A year down the line though and they’ve made up for it.

tinribz
    Free Member

I was thinking about trying BT Vision and have similier questions, if you find out anything about that let us know.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

We got the TV taken out after a couple of days as the picture was shite. Compression losses all over the place.

Haze

Not sure about the ‘hub’ btw, ours came with a standard Netgear cable router (wireless and sockets for 4 ethernet) and seperate modem.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s looking like virgin are the best option anyway. Sky confuses me as well. They’d be delivering fibre to our house but then say I can only get 2Mb on my landline, YOU’RE STICKING A FIBRE INTO MY HOUSE, SEND THE BROADBAND DOWN THAT!

So at the moment, virgin is the one with the 10Mb broadband, 65 channel tv and unlimited phone plus a V+ box. It’s 44 quid a month!

samuri
    Free Member

It’s fibre only for me. One reason I want to move away from the phone line is because we have so many problems with the broadband connection. Constantly disconnecting, often slow.

j_me
    Free Member

Are you being a free install?

Recommendafriend

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Virgin TV (and broadband)’ is closed to new replies.