Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Virgin Money Cyclone (Newcastle)
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

anyone going to anything?
    https://virginmoneycyclone.co.uk/Default.asp

I’ll be at the Leazes Crit with my lad on friday, and I’m doing my first century on saturday.

warton
    Free Member

I’m giving it a miss this year. Too much on. the middle third of the 104 is pretty hard going, but the last 20 miles are very rapid indeed. Enjoy

STATO
    Free Member

the middle third of the 104 is pretty hard going

Especially considering the weather-men have 30mph winds predicted, directly in your face for the longest most open of the climbs. Its going to be tough. Im setting off as early as possible so will have time for some lunch in Elsdon before tackling the climb away from Otterburn.

Will be worth all the pain at the finish tho.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve never done anything like this before. Had meant to pre-ride the route but never got round to it. Managed 100km to Stanhope/Allenheads the other week, but thats it for training

any tips?

P20

I normally go to the crit around leazes park. Nice relaxed evening, normally bumping in to folk I haven’t seen in ages. Working nights so won’t be there this year though.
    My Rob Hayles Crash Video from a few years back

jonba
    Free Member

I’ll be registering on the Friday and mabe hanging around to watch the Elite Crit.

Riding on the Saturday. Trying to put together a fast group but without much luck at the minute.

My tip would be to pace yourself and stick to it, don’t get caught up in the inevitable fast pace at the start. But having said that try and find a group going at your pace. The bit over high green is horribly exposed and a real chore into a headwind solo.

Also I rode it about 2 weeks ago and the road in places was absolutely dire. Stay alert for some “killer” potholes, some on the very fast decents. Gravel and mud as well, probably even more given the recent “summer” weather. If you are setting off early watch out for sheep on the tops. It’s normally ok after a few dozen people have been through but when you go it alone they have a habit of being sat in the middle of the road.

daleftw
    Free Member

Looking forward to this. Absolutely no idea re: climbs. Which ones should I look out for?

jonba
    Free Member

Bilsmore, the hill that keeps on giving start slow, it goes on and on.

The climb up onto High Green off the A68 (all that bit is going to be bad because of the wind).

The climb just after Bellingham

Finally the Ryals. On a shorter ride not an issue but you’ll hit them with 85 miles in your legs and you’ll need some power to get up them as they are steep (but very short).

There aren’t any epic climbs that go on forever but loads of little ones some quite steep and they really wear you down. Bilsmore is probably the longest.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Money Cyclone (Newcastle)’ is closed to new replies.