Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Vinyl to digital
  • salsaboy

Got a budget of £200 to get myself a turntable that converts wax to mp3.
    Anyone got any recommendations please?

Jamie
    Free Member

Lidl on Thursday – £79.99 8)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sUejh.png[/img]

Moses

If you have a turntable already, then a cable-USB connector / converter should work – I bought one from Alddi for a tenner or so.
    It’s a Tevion Music/Audio converter according tothe box.

Milkie
    Free Member

IF you do buy that, spend an extra £20 and buy a half decent stylus/needle.

For £200 you could buy a decent soundcard, pre-amp and turntable, and it would be much higher quality than the Lidl thing.

sunnrider
    Free Member

As you own the originals you are allowed backups for your own use.
    Is your vinyl so rare that you couldn´t find a decent quality download of it online?

Soulseek (slsknet.org) is great for obscure/out of print music that you won´t find in itunes or any official download sites.

Hobster
    Free Member

If you can stretch your budget by £15 this would be worth a look.

http://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/project-essential-phono-usb-turntable-to-digitalize-vinyl-black.html

CountZero

As you own the originals you are allowed backups for your own use.
    Is your vinyl so rare that you couldn´t find a decent quality download of it online?

Well, I have vinyl that I’m pretty damned sure I could never find in digital form. Mostly singles, but I have albums that are thirty+ years old that are unlikely to be considered important enough to digitise.
    Although, you never know; I have an album by a North-country band called Beckett, who had a member who rejoiced in the name of Kenny Mountain, which I used to rather enjoy. Just recently I found a digital copy online, which I was able to download free. Not perfect, it’s just a straight vinyl copy, with pops and clicks, but perfectly listenable. It’s highly unlikely that any official digital release would happen for such an obscure album.
    Fortunately, most, if not all, of the singles are on high quality cassettes, chrome and metal recorded on my old Aiwa F770 deck from my Logic/Zeta/AudioTechnica turntable, when it worked! So I’m going to get one of those £30 tape players that convert to MP3 and plug it into my Mac and get those legacy tracks into iTunes.

sunnrider
    Free Member

OK, just bear in mind that the conversion process will be limited by the quality of the equipment you use.

BTW, soulseek returned a match for your Beckett album, Lossless Flac with Album Covers, it took 4 seconds.
    Several regular MP3 bitrates aswell.

grum
    Free Member

+1 on it being much easier to download them where possible.

what.cd is good if you can get an invite.

salsaboy

First band I put into Soulseek search drew a blank.
    That Project deck is interesting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Vinyl to digital’ is closed to new replies.