Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Vinyl & CD Cataloging Software
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Anybody know of any software that can go on my pooter or an app for my phone that would allow me to either scan or type the bar code in to get the details and track listing of and album so I can start to track (excuse the pun) down digital copies of my records?

Cheers

Ken

CountZero

Funny, I’ve been wondering this after I read a review of an app for keeping a record of books. It was ok, but fell down badly by requiring details to be tapped in, rather than using a barcode reader, and didn’t even make use of ISBN numbers. I was going to have a search around to see if I could find something that used barcodes, but being fundamentally bloody lazy I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Hopefully someone might beat me to it and save me the effort. 😉

CountZero

Just found two.
    http://www.collectorz.com
    http://www.delicious-monster.com
    Both are computer based and one uses the webcam to read the bar code. There’s an iPhone version of one of them but it just takes the database from the computer via wifi.
    I want an iPhone native app that scans the barcode and just lists basic data on the book/album that I can carry with me independent of my computer. Which doesn’t have a webcam, and I’m not typing in details of hundreds of CDs and books!

CountZero

I’ve just found a cataloguing/database app for the iPhone as well, called iCollect. There’s various different versions for different subjects, like books and music. I’ve just bought iCollectmusic and tried it by scanning two random cd’s, a Kate Rusby album and a Blue Nile album and it picked up both straight away. There’s a variety of input methods and you can edit entries. It’s £1.79, and it looks to be the best option at the mo’. Delicious had an app, but apparently it got pulled due to Amazon being greedy over licensing. Muppets.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thanks CZ I’ve got the iPhone one and tried it with a record with a bar code and it worked a treat

Unfortunately most of my vinyl is pre-bar code 🙁

warton
    Free Member

Unfortunately most of my vinyl is pre-bar code

+1

I’ve got all my dads old Jazz (records for the dirty minded) collection sitting gathering dust. I imagine some of it is worth some money, can anyone recommend a shop or website that gives fair prices?

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

I’ve used an Excel spreadsheet for years and hyperlinked the albums to various websites on teh intertoobz.
    Was gonna start using DISCOGS but couldn’t be arsed going thru 4000 vinyl and 2500 cd’s.

da funk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Vinyl & CD Cataloging Software’ is closed to new replies.