Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Vintage fixie bikes, why so expensive?
  • mattk
    Free Member

Firstly, hi everyone this is my first post here, been a lurker for while mind!

Having ridden plenty of different bikes i thought it about time I have a go on a fixie.

Now i didn’t want to spend alot so first port of call was ebay for an old 70’s/80’s racer that i could strip and fix. Only to find that they seem to go a for a fortune (£80 quid for a bottom of the range raleigh racer from the 1980’s in shabby condition)

Whats this all about, am i missing something here, why are they fetching so much money, for something that surely isn’t as good as modern frames?

Anyway a quick trip to the local tip yesterday and i bagged an Elswick Hopper complete bike in working order for £5, even the dynamo and 3-speed sturmey hub works!

ton

fashion innit…..blame the london fakengers 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yup, i bought a falcon strada (late 80/ealry 90’s) for £20 with a full shimano 600 groupset, in 2004, my mates just bought a raleigh in much worse condition for £130!

jim
    Free Member

Whats this all about, am i missing something here, why are they fetching so much money, for something that surely isn’t as good as modern frames?

Supply and demand really.

Try your local tip?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Having ridden plenty of different bikes i thought it about time I have a go on a fixie.

you have answered the question right there.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yup fashion…. my Raleigh Pursuit was a fiver from my tip, thats plenty to spend on a road bike in my opinion. 2 new tubes and tyres, and it was away.
    My mate commuted on it for a year and now my nephew has it, I put an old saddle and some new bar tape on it for him this this weekend, and adjusted the BB and cones and its good to go again.

Tip fresh.

zbonty

Been meaning to post on this topic (sort of)

Just started London commuting again and can’t believe how many there are. Absolutely everywhere!! Clearly this seasons ‘look’.
    Wannabe courier thing?

tinsy
    Free Member

As Ton said…. Fakengers is the name..

zbonty

Primary coloured rims/grips/saddles.

Denim rolled up/spds

Unable to trackstand?

Messenger bag.

mattk
    Free Member

I’ll pass on the rolled up denims thanks, although a playing card wedged in the spokes might finish off that 80’s look 😉

I’ll cobble it together tonight and try it on the commute tomorrow.

Then if i don’t like it I can sell on ebay to some fakenger for £200 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Vintage fixie bikes, why so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.