Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Vinegar on Disc brakes
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

Anyone else tried this? Brakes weren’t working well, tried scoring the pads, wiping the discs, nowt worked. Didn’t want to put anything too strong on the pads in case it damaged them, tried household vinegar on the pads and discs, and they improved dramatically.

Anyone else tried this? Or will the slightly acidic nature of vinegar cause problems to paintwork etc?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Balsamic or Malt? 😆

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Haha cheap and cheerful stuff, dunno if Balsamic has oil in it so prob best to leave that one. Googled it beforehand, couldn’t see much info on the subject, so just chucked it on, the brakes weren’t working beforehand so couldn’t see what I had to lose. Natural degreaser I guess, but worked for me.

Klunk
    Free Member

is this like the conker thing

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Think it just removed the grease rather than hardened anything. Same reason it’s good for getting rid of smears on windows. Having said that, haven’t checked the bike today. Might have completely dissolved it overnight.

rewski
    Free Member

yes it’s a degreaser, but it will probably corrode exposed metal surfaces and makes you stink like a chippy

Kryton57

My “in the field” fix was to pi$$ on them. Worked a treat IIRC.

flatfish
    Free Member

Might try that later.

wwaswas

Might try that later.

Don’t blame us if your chips taste a bit odd.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ve just sorted a disc rotor. I bought some IPA on eBay for a few quid, soaked the rotor in it, scrubbed it twice with a toothbrush, then blow-torched the disc until it bronzed. And new pads.

I tried the same method on the pads, but they were sintered and the blow torch caused them to spit and they’ve bubbled, so new pads it is.

teamslug
    Free Member

Apparently apple cider vinegar is amazing for getting rid of genital warts too!!!. Bet it smarts a bit though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Vinegar on Disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.