Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Village Idiot is back
  • TimP
    Free Member

and this time he wants to know why his Hayes Nines don't fit where his old BB7s did.
    The mount is too wide to fit between the inside of the forks (Fox TALAS) and the wheel, so the rotor stops the wheel spinning. Anyone else had the same problem before? Can I buy a slimmer mount or will I need to rethink my braking? The rotor sits in the right location between the pads…

Thanks

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Can you file the mount down?

snaps
    Free Member

Discobrakes caliper adapters are about 3mm narrower than most if thats enough.

theotherjonv

sorry re-read your post properly and now see that I'm wide of the mark – sorry!

TimP
    Free Member

Yes I can file it down, but shouldn't it just "fit"? But 3mm might be enough. Will check tmrw,

tails
    Free Member

i thought this was gonna be about rude boy 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

i thought this was gonna be about rude boy

Me too, actually..

scaredypants

couldn't you use the BB7's adaptor for the new brake? (disclaimer/excuse: I've never seen a hayes 9)

TheChunk
    Free Member

Are you still using the Avid mount adaptors? I'll swap you for a pair of Hayes adaptors if they're 160mm.

I don't really understand the problem so I may be way off the mark.

I_Ache
    Free Member

There was an issue with Hope floating rotors hitting the leg of fox forks when used with some hubs could this be the same sort of thing? If I understand the post correctly then I think snaps has the correct answer.

Oh and yes they should just fit but since when has that happened?

TimP
    Free Member

I tried to put it all together on Monday night, and that is when I noticed so it has never worked.

Discobrakes don't seem to have an IS 7" adapter?

TimP
    Free Member

Some research this evening suggests that the mounts come in 2 widths, wide for 20mm forks and normal for QR. Guess I have wide and need a normal

Still don't understand how it would fit together with a 20mm fork as the mount is in the way of the rotor, but the rotor fits in between the pads, but will give it a try

scaredypants

I nearly posted this yesterday but thought all fox's were post mount forks – is yours tabbed ??

If so, yeh some 20mm forks have tabs further out than normal, so the adaptor pushes the brake further in to compensate – I suppose the lateral adjustability of your calipper might still allow the rotor to be centred but the adaptor's inner edge would be further in toward the rotor. obviously a bad thing if you don't have one of those forks (older marzocchis had this "20mm IS")

Is there no way you can reuse the avid adaptor ?

TimP
    Free Member

No, as I sold it last week!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Village Idiot is back’ is closed to new replies.