Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • Views on orange 5
  • Beagleboy

I've just replaced my 2006 Orange 5 (metallic blue with swinger 3-way air), which cracked just forward of the top tube / seat tube junction. I was very sad when that happened.

However, after the first weekend on my new 2010 Orange 5 (gunmetal grey with Fox RP23 somethingorother), I must say I'm a very happy bunny again. I always thought the new swoopy top tube and creased downtube was just for aesthetics. Certainly though, the swooped top tube has allowed me to go up to the Large frame size. I think my old, medium frame, which I needed for my stumpy legged body, cracked because of me running the seatpost out at max for all those years. 😥

I think it climbs amazingly, digging in even better than my old model and it feels wonderfully plush. How much of that is down to the frame design, and how much is the new fangled shock I don't know, I'm not a good enough rider to tell. I have noticed an increase in pedal strikes, but then I'm running a shorter (130mm fork on it), and I haven't quite worked out the rear shock settings yet. I wouldn't swap it for anything though. I love it. 😀

B.

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind/Swarf
    There is no by-products in the process of manufacturing the Downtube.
    As each crease, fold, radius is part of the manufacturing process and
    has been done purposely so there is no evidence of a by-product
    or side effect of a by-product.

The Downtube consits of a radius to the top part of the tube followed by
    two constructional creases to either side, with two flat sides to the Downtube and two 90 degree folds to the bottom and then welded underneath.

The reason for the crease at the top two edges instead of a full radius maybe, that being the sheet material is only approx 2 or 1.5 mm approx thick. Therefore the crease maybe stronger construction to the Downtube
    as opposed to a full radius.
    I have included the word maybe as I am not the manufacturer.

To dissipate vibration Downtube Orange seem to have mimicked fanned out creases to the side parts of the Downtube which to absorb the energy
    similar to how Wave Breakers absorb the energy from the sea.

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind
    I have gone through my Journals and even found my school books Ahhhh
    to see if I have missed something or Learnt from your description of
    a by-product.
    This is what I have found from my journals for what is defined as a by-product.

A product made during the manufacture of something else.

A material other than the principal product generated as a consequence of an industrial process.

A secondary metal or mineral product recovered in the milling process.

Material created incidental to a production process which can be sold for value.

Now I hope you have read this one incorrectly.

A by-product is a secondary or incidentally during production of something else. A side effect.
    Then you nead to read this again as it points out to, production of something else!

Now as each process is manipulated and to form the construction of the Downtube. Then there is no by-product, nor side effect been produced from the manufacturer or manufacture of this part.

However I did find a by-product of unemployment and if you gave such invalid and incorrect advice as on a professional level/opinion this could see you swiftly out on your assssssssssssss

grantway
    Free Member

Well to be honest there is a by-product on unemployment
    but my interpretation was made up. 😆

grantway
    Free Member

So what have you bought Bosh?

grantway
    Free Member

Im buying the Orange Crush for my new 😉 Winter bike

AntM
    Free Member

I really like my )8 5 Pro but i'm going off it with all the venom this thread has produced…. or am i missing something?

Bosh
    Free Member

Not bought anything yet! Mojo confirmed that the RP23 shock on the 5 would be overloaded with my weight. So looking at the Alpine 160. See my other thread!

grantway
    Free Member

Yep Bosh very aware been adding through the day !!

retro83
    Free Member

Anybody know where you can get the latest model Five frame only with maxle?

grantway
    Free Member

Retro83 Go onto Orange Bikes web site and click onto Dealers.

retro83
    Free Member

duh, thanks 😳

shame they all seem to be RRP only

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Last year, 3 of us demoed a 5 pro with all the Hope upgrades against a P7 pro and my TranceX on the Qs. We were disappointed with the 5 because it was slow compared with the other two – who ever was riding it at the time was at the back. Downhill the sus worked well but was not as responsive as the Meastro. We think the tyres really let it down when bombing down muddy singletrack. My mate bought the P7. I wouldn't consider one against my Trance X on that kind of terrain.

But lots of people love them so I'd deffo demo one before you decide.

Northwind

Grantway, you're a bit special aren't you. Keep it up. You just managed to write 2 massive posts without adding a single thing to the conversation 🙂 If these creases are such an essential part of the design, and so perfectly engineered, why is it they're not the same on any 2 frames?

As I explained earlier, when you fold metal along anything other than a perfect square, you get creases. Simple as that. Getting rid of them is hard work, so they don't bother.

oxnop
    Free Member

Demo what you are considering – I was dead set on a alpine 160 until I went over to orange and spoke to the guys there & don't do what I do and buy before trying.

This year I have had/still have: 2009 trance advanced, Titus supermoto, pace rc405, stumpy m5, genesis alpitutde, 2009 orange 5 AM, 2009 Santa cruz chameleon & my GF has a 2010 blur LT.

I was running the pace as my full sus for a while (did sierra Nevada on my pace) and thought it was a bike for life until I demoed my mates 5AM. I have had horst link/free floater/single pivot so far and can safely say that the 5 is the best bike I have ridden. The blur LT is pretty good though I wish she rode a large.

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind they are hand made not mass produced so you may find a very slight differance but not found any myself
    Each creass and fold is purposely produced Call them ill even pay for the call.
    Special indeed I am 😉
    Every piece or fold is part of the proccess
    There is no by-product Pick one from the list of many above or
    find me one.

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind google orange bike workshop video or add the link

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind google orange bikes workshop tour video and link it here
    They even show the CNC profiles on there computer screen

Northwind

I've seen the video before, it's pretty good, but none of it's relevant to your claims 🙄 It shows the tubes being pressed into shape but makes no outlandish claims about creases in the tubes adding strength. So what's your point?

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind I am on about the formed creased angles that make the outer shape!

Anyway il explain in 05-06 The main frame had a full arc radius to the top of the Downtube followed by two flat side edges, then two formed creased angles either side at the bottom of the tube.
    Plus two large metal gussets one either side attached to the top part tube and head tube.

In 07 They removed the two metal gussets. They kept a small full arc radius at the top of the tube and then added two formed creased angles either side followed by a wider flat side section of the top part of the Downtube tube,then changed the angle of the two formed creased angles to the bottom of the tube.
    So the frame became stronger as it did not need the Two gussets at the head tube area.

09 onwards has seen further work and narrowing but strengthing the
    Down tube by adding a gusset underneath

Again the Video was for you to see if there was any of your invalid by-products by looking at the manufactured pieces they show in head on shots.

Think what your getting wrong by your proccess of the paper sheet is a
    problem none as Wrinkling

What is Wrinkling?
    Wrinkling which may occur in unsupported formed angle crease
    regions or regions in contact with only One Tool

Drome
    Free Member

is there any difference between the 5 frame and the 5 am frame. the orange website gives different geometry (and not only angles) but as a frame only there only seems to be one option.

grantway
    Free Member

Drome the only difference is that the 5 AM comes with a rear axle.
    I think if you want the frame only you will have to add £100.00p
    for the rear axle.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

What a strange thread.

Drome
    Free Member

Thanks Grantway. I asked cause in the geometry tables the top tube length is different for the 5 and the 5AM, implying they're not the same frame. Must be a typo.

Northwind

Why didn't you just say that then? :mrgreen: Obviously I'm not talking about the structural folds, but the creases around the radius changes, what you're calling wrinkles (as if wrinkle and crease meant different things).

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind Its actually called wrinkling its what happens
    to the material when trying to form a cone or a metal dish like shape.
    The thinner the material or the more you push it the more you see it.
    Wrinkling is acceptable as you cant do nothing about it.
    Not a by-product but known as wrinkling.

Northwind

I'm not doing this any more, since almost every line in your last post is wrong, but you won't listen if I correct you. Enjoy your day

grantway
    Free Member

LOL Northwind Me no more has you have exhausted every word or meaning to
    a proccess or result of.
    Have a nice week.

grantway
    Free Member

Sorry mate take back the wrinkling Mis read
    your post regarding radius.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Possibly selling my 18" 2008 Five frame soon.

To replace with either a Blood, an Alpine 160 or another Five.

For what I want from a mountain bike in a size range that fits me (I seem to sit between sizes on a lot of brands) I find it very hard to fault.

Sure there are minor niggles here and there, but as an overall riding experience it's great.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Views on orange 5’ is closed to new replies.