Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Video of the new black trail at Grizedale.
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4IqJk7u6hA&feature=share[/video]

In true style, it looks steeper in real life 😀 ( yeah, I know )

Not my video btw, but, if you want to come and ride it, it opens on Friday. Bring pads.

The shop is having a demo day, so you may need your wallet as well. Contact details here.

Home

Don’t like it ?, don’t think it’s gnarr enough ? Then more digging will be taking place for a new DH run next to this one, so grab your gloves and shovels and get in contact with the shop to find out how to get digging the trails YOU want !

Happy trails.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Looks good.

Whereabouts does it start and finish?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

So, to get to the finish, climb up the fireroad from the visitor center, go 180 degrees round the bend and up the hill. You’ll see the start of the North Face Traill on the left, carry on another 150 yards and the finish is on the left hand side.

To get to start, just before the finish you’ll see a bridleway heading up the hill, go all the way up to the top and then turn right and carry on up the hill. You’ll see the start on the right hand side. You can’t miss it as there 3 big steps to get down / jump over to start.

Hope that makes sense, it’s easier to describe how to get to the finish in order to find the start.

*For Locals* The start is just past where the Woodcutter used to be ( it’s now been taken down sadly )

alex222
    Free Member

How long is the new black trail?

Drac

Looks much better than the other stuff but I really do like the bridleway descents far too much in Grizedale.

lowey

Looking good guys. Well done!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Alex222, not long, BUT, it’s only the first piece, hopefully, over time, the trail will grow into a more of a network.

The reality is, the more people come and dig the more trails there will be to ride.

You dig ?

Drac, I agree, but there are now soooooo many people hammering the trails, if we can take a bit of pressure off the existing BWs and get some more riders onto man made stuff ( I know, I prefer au natural as well ) then it will benefit everyone.

And I mean it gets really busy, the car park on Sunday was frickin packed, and that’s for an all day parking ticket costing nearly £7 !!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

How easy/hard would it be to include this in a lap of the NFT? If its where I think it is then is it relatively easily accessed from the long fire-road drag on the western edge of the NFT? So come off the fire-road, do the DH and then climb back up the BW to rejoin the NFT at the top?

Drac

Drac, I agree, but there are now soooooo many people hammering the trails, if we can take a bit of pressure off the existing BWs and get some more riders onto man made stuff ( I know, I prefer au natural as well ) then it will benefit everyone

Can’t argue with that.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

How easy/hard would it be to include this in a lap of the NFT? If its where I think it is then is it relatively easily accessed from the long fire-road drag on the western edge of the NFT? So come off the fire-road, do the DH and then climb back up the BW to rejoin the NFT at the top?

Exactemundo Davey Boy

grum
    Free Member

Cheers for that, looks good. Sorry for being thick – if you were to do the first climb on the NFT, then rather than going off to the left and doing the second bit of singletrack, carry on on the fire road going north – would that take you to the start of it?

flatfish
    Free Member

GR of the start would be easier I expect.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

grum – I think it would but if the start is where I think it is, it’d be a fair old slog along that fireroad.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Why do all man made trail centres end up being clones of each other? There must be a reason right; I mean I like a nice ribbon of single track as much as the next guy, but i’d much rather ride something that has, you know, line choice!

I get completely the benefit of building man made to relieve pressure elsewhere, just not sure I understand why it always has to be the same ribbon of single track.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

You don’t like, then come and help build something better. You now have that golden opportunity.

If you build it, they will come.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks for the map link.

I get completely the benefit of building man made to relieve pressure elsewhere, just not sure I understand why it always has to be the same ribbon of single track.

It looked like there were some line choices that maybe weren’t finished yet? Think these trails were mostly volunteer built too so time/money will have been an issue. Seems a bit churlish to criticise TBH.

I will definitely try to get down for a dig day at some point. Work/illness keep getting in the way – barely ridden my bike either.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Looking good, great work from all involved.

I’m up in The Lakes in July for a weekend, will be dropping in at Grizedale for a ride either on the way up to or back from Keswick/Langdale.

bruneep

That is a black run? why? looks more like a red/blue to me nothing overly challenging there.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Come and ride it before making a judgement from a video.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Looks a lot of fun, but why is that graded “black”? Even if it’s got steeper bits that need good brake control, the jumps can be slowly rolled and it’s not festooned with awkward features. “Red” surely?

Come and ride it before making a judgement from a video

EDIT: Yes fair enough. I’m not being judgemental, I’m just asking for some justification.

bruneep

Not having a pop, but seem a vast difference between your video and the one below for Laggan

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1il79PtJck[/video]

I’ll stick to laggan black thanks

althepal

Guessing there’s gonna be a couple of log rides at a coupla points there?
    Either that or BT have been fly tipping telegraph poles at the trail side… Bastards!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

See how much narrower and rough the trail profile is at Laggan, and all its little rock gardens you can’t avoid? That long “Dibbles Chessboard” one near the bottom I might do the chicken walk 🙂 Laggan’s black is black.

Sweet riding BTW.

bruneep

not me riding 1st video I picked from you tube

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll stick to laggan black thanks

A 5 hour drive from Grizedale to ride a 7 minute trail? And you’re sure there won’t be anything better inbetween?

Might head over this weekend and check it out, it’s that, Dalby or the Peaks.

pmcclure
    Free Member

Having worked on the new trail I can tell you that one part is really hard to walk up (it’s that steep)

bangermoose
    Free Member

looks awesome guys, cant wait to give that a go.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Cheers Tod, know exactly where you mean.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well done, it looks like a fun trail. I havent helped dig (not particularly into mtb riding anymore) but some of my friends helped out so I guess I”ll end up going for a ride there over the summer at some point.

I think its ideal for grizedale, theres loads of technical stuff in the area if you want something trickier to do, but theres no jumps and no smooth flowing stuff – until now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Infact, you could ride the trig point track if you wanted a technical section, that ends where this begins I guess?

skywalker
    Free Member

I’ve seen blacker blue runs, looks boring as hell.

PrinceJohn

looks alot like the newish blue at Glentress by the freeride section, if it’s half as much fun as that it’ll be awesome.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

looks boring as hell.

Theres lots of jumps there, since when have jumps ever been boring?

(although I guess if you struggle with them then you may find it boring)

skywalker
    Free Member

There are lots of jumps at my local BMX track too, and it looks about as smooth.

Its supposed to be black, not blue.

Laggans more like it.

drapper
    Free Member

Its a bit pedestrian? Where is the gnar?

portlyone

Looks fun, good work

Gribs

I suspect the problem will be the FC as the only bit that looks like it might not be rollable are the drops at about 30 seconds in. At Gisburn hully gully is graded black but technically is mildly red but has to be graded black because of the consequences of a fall.

colournoise

It’s blacker than Thetford…

slainte 😆 rob

Cammer
    Free Member

Bit tiring reading the few comments complaining about a new track that hasn’t even officially opened yet.

I know a lot of work has gone into this trail for almost 12 months, and I never expected to see the like in Grizedale. Looking forward to giving it a whirl and big thanks to the volunteers.

Hoping this is just the beginning of new trail building in Grizedale and I hope to be along sometime to lend a hand.

If you look at what has been achieved at Gisburn in a relatively short time, if Grizedale gets anywhere near that level of new trail building to go alongside the existing network of bridleways it’ll be awesome 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Video of the new black trail at Grizedale.’ is closed to new replies.