Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Video Editing / Web Publishing Question
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Ok,

So I have had a girst go at actually editing down some of the videos I’ve taken so they are not just hours and hours of boring trails with the odd interesting bit thrown in for good measure.

However the upload to youtube is taking an age (>10hrs predicted). I am using Windows movie maker and have just saved all the videos as HD files as I have HD TV etc, the files are big, but I assumed youtube software would sort out the compression.

Question is, what are the optimum settings for decent quality and upload speed, assuming the network connection is a constant and can’t be changed!

I have seen some pretty rubbish vid’s and some pretty good ones (quality wise) with the same claimed settings. So there is obviously some osrt of art to it!!! It seems a bit daft that there isn’t a “upload to internet” spec amongst the HD, DVD, Phone etc settings.

Dom

joemarshall
    Free Member

Stick it on to upload overnight.

To get YouTube hd, you need quite big files although probably not as big as you’ve made them, lowering the bit rate not the video resolution is the thing to do for upload.

Also, don’t bother using copyrighted music, as it will get silenced.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Cheers Joe,

Didn’t know that about the music, maybe I’ll have to dig out some of my mates old band’s stuff, I doubt they’ll have any issues with it. Not really “music to ride to” though.

That is a very cunning work around uploading overnight, it seems pretty obvious really doesn’t it!!!

MarkN
    Free Member

As has been said see if you can reduce the bit rate/file size. There may be some specific pointers on You Tube as to “preferred” setting. I seem to recall that Vimeo has similar. The issue is the speed of your link back up to the net. You may get 4 plus mb/s download but upload is probably about 1/2 mb/s. An HD file for your big screen telly at home will be a large file and is a bit over kill for the web. Remember that if it takes an age to upload it will take a fair bit to download as well. Try to find a happy middle ground between size and quality.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I don’t know about uploading tips but regarding music, it should be fine to use copyrighted stuff.
    What will happen is, eg Sony will detect this and put a link or advert on your vid to buy the music.
    A lot of the big music companies came to an agreement with YouTube to do this.
    You use their music, they get ad space.
    Most likely, the vid will be silenced in Germany only.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I had left the video to upload all day (Since about 10am) but it seems to have got stuck on 24%.

Just resaving it with a 0.5MB/s bitrate. Will see how that affects the quality. It has dramatically reduced the size of the file.

davy-g
    Free Member

Vimeo allows 500MB per week uploads FREE…
    http://vimeo.com/

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I didn’t realise there was an upload limit.

Rubbish!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Video Editing / Web Publishing Question’ is closed to new replies.