• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Via ferrata in a thunderstorm – what would happen
  • Ewan
    Free Member

So…. obviously being caught on Via ferrata in a thunderstorm would be ‘a bad thing’. But how bad a thing?

Clearly you don’t want to be holding a metal cable on top of a ridge, but if you’re not the tallest thing around is it any worse than not being clipped onto a metal cable?

Am I being simplistic with my assumption that if cable / pegs were hit by lightening that would be fine as they’re earthed (by their very nature) and that my body wouldn’t even come into it as i’m a poor conductor?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You’re heading to Slovenia, aren’t you?

If you climb Triglav, you’ll notice LOTS of little plaques on the summit ridge (which has lots of ironmongery in-situ). Most of these plaques have a phrase in common which is the Slovene for “lightning strike”. Not sure whether just being near the top of the highest mountain in the country makes you vulnerable anyway. Spooky place in poor weather!

P1000818Alps 2005 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

stevomcd
    Free Member
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hi
    I haven’t done any Via Ferrata or been to Slovenia, bear with me tho. Often in the high Alps you just don’t go out unless the weather forecast is good, IME the hut guardian is the best source to tell you what the forecast is for the next day and advise you as to be best thing to do.

I’ve only ever been caught out in lightening once, but we were climbing within reasonably safe distance for escape back to the hut, so decided to chance it for a peak. On the summit it all closed in, on the ridge back to hut all our metal stuff started sparking and we could hear lightening strikes around us, I’ve never crapped myself so much.
    At 5.30am the weather was good

At 10am the cloud boiled up and it looked threatening, so we headed back to the hut as quickly as we could, but it was a horrible experience, I wouldn’t chance it again.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve only ever been caught out in lightening once, but we were climbing within reasonably safe distance for escape back to the hut, so decided to chance it for a peak.

We had a similar experience in the Alps when the hut we were hoping to stay at was full, so we stupidly decided to walk on to the next one rather than go back to the valley, despite it being late afternoon and the weather starting to look dodgy. We had to go over a fairly exposed pass just as a full on lightening storm started. One of the most terrifying things I’ve ever experienced.

geoffj

A mate of mine had a lightning strike in the Dolomites. It does happen and it’s not nice – he got away with minor burns.

Ewan
    Free Member

Well we won’t go high unless the forecast is good and we’ll certainly start early to avoid afternoon storms. I was trying to work out the mechanism assuming you’re not a ridge…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think the textbooks say you get down off the ridge crest to try to make yourself the lesser likely object to receive a direct strike. Put to one side any ice axe, crampons or other metal until the worst is over, but don’t throw them away, you might need them later.

duntstick
    Free Member

Lightening on a ridge, when you’re on it. They have some proper storms down here, just…..

Crouch down, head between your knees as far as you can, and kiss your ass goodbye. 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

So thunder = get the hell off the ridge ASAP. As I thought then…

Anyone know a good source of weather forecasts in Slovenia if you have no net access? Are PAYG data sims easy to get hold of?

rustler
    Free Member

Wrap the weakest member of the group in Bacofoil & run away from him/her.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ewan – the mountain huts will have a weather forecast. well worth using them – take a sheet sleeping bag

Blower
    Free Member

Did one by accident in the bikes in the Alps a few days ago 😕
    it got worse and worse,fookin shat miself.had to turn round and work as a team to get back.

Ewan
    Free Member

TJ – Good idea… unfortunately the missus has a much less robust attitude to the comforts of home. She can more than cope with a hike/climb, but to suggest there won’t be GHDs within arms reach is probably a stretch to far!

Maybe we can swing past one on the way up, but I guess it’ll be a bit late at that point!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Via ferrata in a thunderstorm – what would happen’ is closed to new replies.