Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Very VERY tight tyre rim combo.
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

Vision 30s on my planet-x carbon pro with ultra sport tyres.

Ye gads thats a tight one so tight that the rim actually tore the rubber of the steel bead.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

EEEK!

I thought my Challenge Strada Biancas were a tight fit, but that’s bonkers!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Stupid wheels. there is minimal depth in the middle and thick black rim tape.

Yellow tape on the shopping list and if that doesn’t work they’re getting launched.

Theres no way i’d get them on at the side of the road in the pissing rain.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bear with it. Mine were a bitch to fit first off, but have since “softened” a bit. Rather like a tubular, they seem to need to be stretched in to size a little.

Of course, if they’re shit tyres, bin ’em!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve just been wrestling to get some Conti Grandprix’s on to new rims for about 1hr. **** knows what I would do if I get a puncture out on the road. It’s even caused some of the fibre strands to come away 🙁

The thing that made the difference was completely unseating the bead on the opposite side that had appeared to have seated itself down.

Chuffing knackered now, had a proper workout.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Fit?! That was me removing them!

Why do you think I was taking them off 😉

But I’m not risking a decent tyre until i retape!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve never struggled to remove a tyre before!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I see! In that case, I refer you to my earlier statement….

they’re shit tyres, bin ’em!

😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

And I to mine…

Why do you think I was taking them off 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

To be fair to them I’ve never had a puncture.

Thank ****

lerk
    Free Member

I had to remove one of mine at the side of the road yesterday evening…

…with the little inch long tyre lever (singular) on my Topeak multitool!

Was exciting let me tell you!
    I’m currently shopping for tyres and a new set of tyre levers…

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m shopping for new thumbs.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

27.5 Tactic rims and Specialized Slaughter Grid tyres one tough combo.

solarider
    Free Member

I had a problem with Challenge Strada Bianca on my Enve rims. The tyres are just too small to start with, but when seated the bead didn’t sit under the hook. Instead the hook dug into the soft and vulnerable sidewall. Within 10kms they always split through the sidewall. First one I put down to being an unfortunate sidewall cut. Second one puzzled me. After several (expensive) tyres, I got the message! I changed tyres to something else (in fact I tried several). The same thing happened.

The wheel has just been replaced by Enve. They acknowledged it was either too tight or the hook was too sharp. No problems since.

So, whilst there are techniques for dealing with right tyres, also be aware that (even with rims that supposedly come out of a mould so should be consistent) sometimes the rim itself might be at fault.

As for those techniques. Use very thin rim tape (Stan’s). Put half the tyre on and sit it in the rim well rather than under the hook before fitting the other half. Have spare thumbs standing by!

hora
    Free Member

OP I punctured with that exact combo non stop. I was even close to an evans and paid £5 for them to do it.. Took 30mins and the poor lad came out and said ‘you were right’!

Ultegra wheels/gp4000’s are a dream compared.

Bin them.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

same wheels and congo 4 seasons were a bitch on my brothers bike

breninbeener

I have vision 30 in 650b flavour on my old school tri bike. I have Michelin Pro 4 (i think) on them and they werent a problem….

joshvegas
    Free Member

Update.

Schwalbe tyre levers are the best tyre levers i’ve ever used.

Yellow tape and those bad boys got a vittoria diamante pro radial on the front.

Technique nailed. Not ideal but acceptable until i build somethinv else.

TiRed

I have a Schwalbe NN that I have failed to mount on any rim! Some 406 Duranos were very hard to mount and remove from my trike – worse still with a broken wrist (reason for the trike).

Schwalbe Ones on anything have been fine. Mavic tyres on Mavic rims likewise. Pick a nice combination and leave the levers at home. Pick a bad one and you’ll be needing a taxi and new thumbs (been there too!)

neilthewheel

Try fitting a 20″ Schwalbe Marathon onto a Brompton wheel. Actually, don’t.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hot water on the tyre – blast it with the shower and then fit.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Very VERY tight tyre rim combo.’ is closed to new replies.