Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Very very OT. Stitchingtrackworld….recommend me a sewing machine for daughter
  • rockhopper70

My eldest (14) loves sewing and a couple of years ago bought herself a £29.99 machine from Home Bargains.
    The limitations have become apparent and the quality of the machine is niw, possibly, surpassed by her ambition/skill.
    So, with Christmas looming, we are thinking of buying her a new one.
    In a budget of around £100, the default option appears to be the John Lewis own brand or the basic singer….or go for a better 2nd hand one.
    Anyone any experience of such machines can point me in the right direction?
    Thanks all.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We got a really nice singer for dearest daughter last Christmas from Argos of all places. It was half price if i remember rightly.

Something like this. Don’t know if its up to spec but it fried my brain.

Singer

TheFopster
    Free Member

Mrs Fopster is a keen sewist and has had a basic John Lewis own brand for 20 years. It’s been used nearly every day and is going strong. Occasional service is all it needs – maybe every couple of years, and that’s with heavy use. Seems bomb proof. Recommended.

rockhopper70

That argos one is worth a PSA! Perhaps

wrightyson
    Free Member

As I say rockhopper its not really my field of expertise but I’ve seen it stitch buttons on in rapid style. She’s made handbags, a pinny and all sorts of other things.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My lass has the JL Mini one and has been very happy with it. I would imagine the full size one is the same if not better quality.

Hells

I’m sure I saw either Aldi or Lidl doing Singer sewing machines recently at reasonable price!! They are good machines, my mum was given one for her 18th birthday, it’s still going strong & mum will be 69 on Friday!!

Sandwich

Have a word with Bunnyhop on here. She’s a professional sewist.

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Brother. I’ll check the model number, I think it was about £180 It’s basic but has a speed limiter, about a million stitch patterns 😀 and you can raise and lower the needle. The bobbins on the top as well so you can see what’s left.

John Lewis/ Janone are supposed to be really good. Never really got on with Singer, other people love them. Personal choice.

I want an overlocker

freddyg
    Free Member

Spooky!

My daughter (7years old) is very keen on crafty type stuff and fashion – always sketching out little designs for outfits and dresses. I was in Aldi on Monday and spotted the Singer machine mentioned above (£150 ish) but also a smaller mini machine for around £15.

I mentioned it to my Wife as an idea for Christmas, she thought it was a good idea but preferred the idea of the JL Mini jobbie (£50).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Very very OT. Stitchingtrackworld….recommend me a sewing machine for daughter’ is closed to new replies.