Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Very tight fitting tyres on tubeless rims, do you bother carrying a spare tube?
  • leegee

I have a new wheel with a Spank Oozy 345 rim. To set up tubeless I tape the rim and then put a tyre on with a tube, pump it up and leave it a day or so to seat the tape.
    I’ve tried 3 tyres, Rock Razor, Ardent and Purgatory all are very tight to get on the rim and I’ve just put 3 small holes in a brand new tube it the process.

With that in mind I cannot see the point of carrying a spare tube, as it is quite likely I would damage it putting it in if I needed it, I carry a tubeless repair kit.

Getting to the point, has anyone else with such tight tyres had to fit a tube whilst riding but not been able to?

Cheers

joshvegas
    Free Member

get some of these badboys

And carry a tube. With them i can get a latex tube onto the infamous planet x vision30 whells that ripped the rubber clean of the bead of one tyre.

julzm
    Free Member

Put the bead of the tyre into the very middle of the rim when you’re putting the tyre on. Due to the very slightly smaller diameter at that point in the rim, it makes the tyres much easier to get on.

Had three sets of carbon rims that were all a nightmare until I learned this trick. Pedro’s tyre levers also help.

Biggest issue now is popping the bead back off the rim!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have some tyres that were ridiculously tight when new, broke plastic levers. By the time I swapped them they were looser. Definitely carry a tube as a last resort, sticky worms are my first resort for a hole that sealant doesn’t fill anyway

scotroutes

julzm – Member
    Put the bead of the tyre into the very middle of the rim when you’re putting the tyre on. Due to the very slightly smaller diameter at that point in the rim, it makes the tyres much easier to get on.

This.

I’ve yet to come across a tyre/rim combo that can’t be sorted with a couple of tyre levers. One usually works. Sometimes thumbs are enough.

momo

scotroutes – Member

I’ve yet to come across a tyre/rim combo that can’t be sorted with a couple of tyre levers. One usually works. Sometimes thumbs are enough

Try supergravity schwalbe tyres on superstar carbon rims, took 2 days for my thumbs to stop hurting! Snapped a pair of Pedros levers in the process too!

mtbfix

Careful use of a small, metal tyre lever for me. It neither bends not breaks. But be careful.

rickmeister

Put the bead of the tyre into the very middle of the rim when you’re putting the tyre on

…and start opposite the valve and work back towards it. The little extra thickness around the valve could make the difference between success and fail

leegee

Outcome. Park tool levers are not good for very tight rims they are too hooked. When I changed to a cheap lever and one I found on a trail that are much flatter, no issue.

The tips above about pulling the tyre into the centre and working toward the valve both helped. Thanks

chakaping
    Free Member

I have some tyres that were ridiculously tight when new, broke plastic levers. By the time I swapped them they were looser.

Same here.

Sometimes makes me wonder if I imagined it the first time.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Always carry a tube! By being fitted and ridden the tyres will loosen off a bit, making removal and refitting easier.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Put the bead of the tyre into the very middle of the rim when you’re putting the tyre on …

This ^

and start opposite the valve and work back towards it. The little extra thickness around the valve could make the difference between success and fail

And this^ , is exactly how it should be done.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I dont bother with a tube any more. My kit is a 2oz bottle of stans in case i loose alot of selant, co2 tyre worms and loctite superglue with rubber in it. This superglue is wonderful i have even fixed a side wall puncture on my road tubeless tyre, no bulges and the fix seems permanent. A worm and this superglue will fix almost every hole.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Very tight fitting tyres on tubeless rims, do you bother carrying a spare tube?’ is closed to new replies.