Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Very strange problem (valves)
  • larry

Hello all, just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem that I have at the moment. I have a Schrader to presta adapter which I can screw on to the presta falve fine put as soon as I attach a pump, be it a track pump or a normal pump it just loses loads of air! I have tried different pumps but still no joy. I decided enough was enough and bought a new adapter tonight, got it home and same thing happened. I got them both from the same shop and am feeling like they are selling me stock left over from april fools day. Are they meant to come with a small rubber o ring as my mates adapter has one, the two I have do not. Would it make any difference? If all fails I am going to buy a drill and drill my rims for Schrader valves. Please help me first though as I have loads of presta tubes as spares! Cheers

gusamc
    Free Member

this might be bolleaux as a photo would help but
    – mine has a rubber seal
    – are you locking the schrader on to the presta (ie using the scharder valve cam -if I leave mine uncammed it blows air all over the place)

larry

It is just a small brass adapter which I screw onto the presta valve, I then screw my normal pump onto this. When using my track pump i again screw the adapter on and then attach the pump then move the lever to tighten it up at this point the air rushes out.

gusamc
    Free Member

mmm – still no clearer, anyway.

mmmm – I think you are mismatching components. I have a old fashioed hand pump (handle/up and down in small cylinder job – no levers – you know old codger on bike long metal job – type that fits between two sticky out pins on a frame ). It comes with a rubber bit that screws into the end of the pump and the other end screws onto a schrader. I **think** the bit you are talking about is designed to fit on here to convert this to a presta (I have one of these and it works) – you screw it onto the rubber bit end and it 'changes' it from scharder to presta.

It sounds like you're trying to use it on a track pump – I have one it has a schrader head – and chained to that is a (much larger) adapter that can be cam locked to the schrader fitting to turn it into a presta.

It shuld work on the normal pump with a flexi rubber screw fit. On the track pump I doubt it. I **** THINK******* that the isssue is that when you use the cam thta pushes a pin forwards (on a schrader this would be to compress the valve core) and it sounds like thta it hitting the presta relesae but that there is not a good enough fit somewhere.

My guess it that that you need a track pump specific adapter (OR use lots of tape etc to fix the seal that is leaking ?????????

steelfan
    Free Member

I have had both types of adaptors in the past. The brass ones dont tend to work as well because of no seal. I did have an alloy one with a small seal where it screws onto the presta valve and these work much better.
    I guess its just a case of hunting around to find one with a seal.
    check the link below

presta to schrader adaptor

or this on ebay with a seal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Very strange problem (valves)’ is closed to new replies.