Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Very dull home cinema system connecting issue..
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

i have been given a quite old sony home cinema amp and 5 satellite speakers, with an optical cable.

i have a fairly new toshiba flatscreen with optical port

sky+ box

ps3

i have powered up the amp and connected the optical cable from it to the TV but no sound is coming out of the amp or 5 speakers, when i run the test on the amp it works fine 'as in ' it tests each speaker in turn.

what am i doing wrong?

1- do you have to tell the TV to use the optical port?

2 – i guess the cable could be shot as somebody did tell me they break easily?

cheers for any help.

molgrips
    Free Member

1) you may have to, you may also have to tell the home cinema thing to accept input on the optical port. Btw if you want it for watching blu rays then connect it directly to the PS3. There is an option for enabling optical output on the PS3. It used to be that you could only have one output active at a time which meant that if you set it up for optical out you got nothing on the HDMI connection, therefore you could only have sound coming out of either the home cinema thing or the tv. That's changed with more recent firmware updates, although I think you can only get plain stereo out of whichever connector is not your main output.

2) maybe, but the light that optical connections use is red and clearly visible. So if you see a red light shining out of it, then it's ok.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Btw if you want it for watching blu rays then connect it directly to the PS3.

aaaahhhhh, thats what i want to do as i play alot of games aswell…

i just naturally thought putting it thruogh the TV was the default?

does the PS3 'pick up the optical' or do you have to manually set it?

cheers by the way

monkey_boy
    Free Member

?? what happend there

cheers

jon1973
    Free Member

does the PS3 'pick up the optical' or do you have to manually set it?

I use the optical output from my PS3 on my home cinema. You need to set it to use this as it doesn't just detect it.

Cougar

Often the TV optical is input-only. You'll have to connect the source devices directly to the amp.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers all

mossimus
    Free Member

Worth aslo connecting the Sky+ box via optical with a 2 into 1 adapter such as this.

molgrips
    Free Member

i just naturally thought putting it thruogh the TV was the default?

No – on older setups I've had, you had to down-mix (so to speak) the 5.1 to plain stereo to get it into the TV via twin phono leads. So then if you took the output back out of the TV you'd still be in plain stereo instead of 5.1. May be different now, but it's still more sensible and less problematic to take it out of the PS3. I know that'll work for you, cos it works for me 🙂

monkey_boy
    Free Member

thanks all,

plugged the optical lead into the PS3, had a fanny about witht he ps3 settings loaded up a game and nearly blew the roof off the conservatory!

cheers for the link for that adaptor, so in laymans terms i can have the ps3 and the sky box plugged in.

tidy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Very dull home cinema system connecting issue..’ is closed to new replies.