Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Very Budget Big-hit Bike
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

I am thinking of building my self a very cheep long travel full susser.

What can anyone recommend? I think second-hand parts would be cheaper, freebis will be even cheaper 😉

So far I have a long travel LX rear mech, and a single speed chainset.

I think i am going to go for a rear only shifter 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

Probably unrelated but FYI.

The Extrex range had a problem with batteries not quite staying in place, this resulted in mysterious offs. Fixed with blutack/tape etc to hold the batteries properly………………….

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

big hit!

you've already got it in the title

slimtubing
    Free Member

kona stinky.

Nezbo
    Free Member

Sorry the other key words in the title is very budget 🙁

A Big Hit and a Stinky are way out of my budget :'(

Cheers anyway 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by "cheap". If you are building up a bike to take the punishment then you don't want the parts to be too old / used as they may be nearing the end of their useful.

Buying complete will undoubtably be cheaper and the two examples quoted above will see you right and will probably come in at a good price point second hand. Never riden a Big Hit so can't really comment however I have riden lots of Kona Stinkys and can't rate them highly enough. In fact selling my last Stinky was the worst thing I have done biking-wise.

Again though I'd need to know your budget before making too many recommendations.

SBrock
    Free Member

Think you need to be realistic – big hit bikes don't come cheap and the stinky is probably the cheapest you gonna get!

Nezbo
    Free Member

gusamc – Not related to me building a big hit bike, but i do have a problem with my Extrex random off's.

I will try the tape round the batteries 🙂

Cheers

ton

carrera banshee………halfrauds.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you'll get a big hit frameset for not a lot

even cheaper are the likes of coyote and similar Taiwanese generic rigs.

have a look on the southern downhill forum or on descent world if it's still going

Coyote
    Free Member

"even cheaper are the likes of coyote"

Oi! What did I ever do to you? 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

news travels dear boy

BoardinBob

Amazing price on this frame.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?mode=search

Maybe a bit more oomph than you're looking for but hard to resist!

mildred
    BoardinBob

I've always wondered how bad/ good this would be

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-6-fr-69566878/

The forks a bit low rent but it's got some decent components on it

For £500 it could be a laugh. They did another model with decent RS forks for about £100 more but it seems to be gone now.

superdan

look into Cannondale Geminis on fleabay, few years old now so low low residuals, 1.5" headsets for bigass singlecrown forks (or not) and bombproof

GlennG
    Free Member

I have a medium Big Hit 3 frame with DHX3 coil shock, RF bars, Truvative stem, XT BB, XT front mech, Cane Creek head set, Easton seatpost for sale for £250, the frame is in very good condition with a few scratches.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get a HT, cheaper. You might want to buy my 456 Summer with Z150's.

Nezbo
    Free Member

Sorry Glenn I am 6'4" and could really do with a large…

Cheers anyway 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

There were lots of those decathlon FR-6 bikes out in the alps this year… looked pretty well screwed together.

as a base bike they'd be a 'good' cheap option. Wheels, shock and fork could always be upgraded if there was still money in the budget!

Dave

chakaping
    Free Member

I won't bother trying to sell you my small Big Hit then.

But just to let you know what can be done, I built up the (new) frame with a lot of new bits for under a grand.

If your budget is a lot smaller than that, you'll probably get best value buying a complete s/h Big Hit or similar off ebay, Pinkbike or one of the downhill sites.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Very Budget Big-hit Bike’ is closed to new replies.