Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Vertigo
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone else had any experience of this. I’ve never felt anything like it. I was sat in the car waiting to go to work and all of a sudden everything was violently spinning. Couldn’t even find the door handle to open the door. After throwing up and getting an ambulance they think I’ve got vertigo.
    Been to see the gp who seems to agree. Need blood test and to a clinic to see if I’ve had a mini stroke.
    Horrible horrible feeling that I never want to experience again

martinhutch

You’ve definitely got vertigo – that’s the symptom you describe. Loads of different potential causes, from an ear problem/infection like labyrinthitis to migraine. The one you mentioned is less likely, but still worth ruling out, obviously.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve had it two or three times and MrsSB had it this time last year – I agree it’s awful. Usually an inner ear virus.
    A very good friend is an ENT consultant and he put in a lot of time with her but it seems that, although you can take medication to make the inner ear less ‘reactive’, time is the best healer. It took the wife about 6-8 months to get over it it I’m afraid. Mine went after about 3 days.
    I’ll never go on anything spinny again.

MoreCashThanDash

It sounds simple but can be really nasty. My cousin was off work with it last year for 2-3 months.

A colleague at work wasn’t so lucky – struggled with it for 2-3 years before being pensioned off on medical grounds at 50.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sounds more like Labrythnitis

bigyim
    Free Member

Cloudnine is that not the cause of vertigo?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Vertigo is a generic term for spinning head / no balance.. ??

It depends whats causing it but my money is on a virus.. inflamed inner ear.
    Rest. sleep. Its all you’ll be able to do for the next few days.

You can paypal me the consultation fee.

Rare cases do last years… my dad has had it for 3 years but not as bad as the initial spinning / puking / nausea. If you’ve been able to type then i’ll guess you’ll be more or less ok in a few weeks.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Your description sounds exactly like the time I had labyrinthitis. Wiped me out for a few days before I could a tuallydo anything without throwing up. It lasted about a week for me but I know others who’ve had for less and a lot longer. I went from feeling fine to being unable to stand up in about 5 minutes. Not in any rush to have it again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I suffer from vertigo, ie a fear of heights. Makes me dizzy and very uncertain on my feet.

As an aside a golfer at the U.S. open collapsed yesterday with symptoms as you describe.

MoreCashThanDash

A fear of heights is not medically vertigo?

brant
    Free Member

Had something similar just over a year ago.
    Possibly stress. Went away after few days.
    Quite frightening, then funny, then annoying.

vickypea
    Free Member

I had it last year- a horrible violent spinning feeling which was worse when I was in bed and moved my head or turned over. I also had tinnitus at the same time. The worst of it was over in 4 days and it cleared up after a week.

Mackem

Had it twice.
    First time, was over and done with in 3 days.
    Second time, took about 10 weeks to be totally ok.

takisawa2

My brother had it some years ago. Couple of bouts of it. As a teen I thought it hilarious, him clinging to the bed, saying the room was spinning around etc. I suspected he’d been at my stash of Harp.

allthepies
    Free Member

Mate of mine has it, in his case it’s due to a benign tumour in his head 😯

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I had this, also about a year ago. I was driving and luckily just come off the motorway onto a country road. Then it hit me. Everything started to spin violently and I couldn’t lift my head, I also started to be sick. Managed to call an ambulance were they admitted me to hospital. They did all sorts of tests on me but couldn’t find anything wrong. Within about 4 hours I was released. I felt completely fine before it happened but it took about a week to feel fully normal again. The days after felt like a really bad hangover.

I seem to suffer in lifts too. When I come out of them I still feel like I’m moving.

It’s something I hope I never have to go through again.

slowoldman

A fear of heights is not medically vertigo?

No it isn’t. Common misconception though, since both can create feelings of dizziness.

Philby

Had it in the Cayman Islands a few years ago after scuba diving. Horrendous experience – couldn’t walk, eat or function. Threw up constantly. Was hospitalised and put in a decompression chamber due to having been diving. When I got back on my feet I was walking / staggering around like I was completely pissed. Had a very nervous flight back to the UK and numerous tests at the ENT department of the local hospital which highlighted a severe inner ear infection. Took months before the dizziness disappeared.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I was in hospital for a number of days with it, because of associated visual disturbances. Took me ages to recover my sense of balance (months), the neuros never did work out fully whether it was central vertigo (issue with the CNS) or vertigo caused by an ear infection.

Was a bit shit.

Still sometimes end up wondering if I’m about to drop dead from an aneurysm or something. Oh well.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I went from feeling fine to being unable to stand up in about 5 minutes

For me it was instant, bang, white flash across my eyes, feel like I’m doing negative G in an aircraft, followed by a few seconds of intense spinning, then a settling down to a slow spin/unsteadiness that lasted. This kept repeating itself.

Christian
    Free Member

Had it years ago due to inner ear infection, first onset was in outside lane of motorway, indicated and managed to get to hard shoulder somehow, as scared as i have ever been! Happened a couple of times after till antibiotics cleared the infection, very odd symptoms that you will never forget!

gregsd
    Free Member

Sat at my desk at work on Thursday and suddenly felt dizzy with the room spinning and unable to focus my eyes. Called a first aider who spoke with NHS 111, who recommended contacting my GP and don’t do anything that might make me dizzy (really!). Managed to get an emergency appointment with my GP, who diagnosed Labrythnitis and gave me an injection of Prochlorperazine and a course of tablets, though I think this is more to stop the dizziness and vomiting, rather than treating the inner ear infection itself.

bigyim
    Free Member

As chuck norris said I feel as I have a really bad hangover but need to check if I’ve had a mini stroke and a ct scan on my head. Never felt anything like it on Thursday I thought it was game over for me and that was how I was snuffing it!!

jam-bo

Boom. And here I am, lying on the sofa, trying not to move too much and wondering how realistic cycling across the Icelandic highlands in ten days time is….

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is the ticket transferable?? I’ll go for you.. I could take your bike too just so it doesnt miss out!! What size shoes are you??

bigyim
    Free Member

Wish you a speedy recovery jam bo. Plenty of rest. I recovered fairly quickly if that’s any consolation

totalshell

i had a cracking episode most of today.. loss of balance stumbling nausea, been able to type is no gauge of the symptoms as i drove most of the day and had several deatiled conversations with others.. it comes and goes sometimes in and out in 5 minutes othertimes hangs around for a month or more.. not pleasant.. could be worse..live life..

mattbee

2 years ago Labrynthitis had be laid up for around 6 weeks.
    It hit really fast, went from feeling fine to being laid flat out on floor in 10min or so, was in hospital via blue light ambulance half hour later as their first thought was bleed in brain.
    Took a fair while to get fully mobile, with the aid of drugs. First one they put me on got rid of the dizziness by making me mega drowsy but a change to Serc (iirc) plus gradually getting out and about saw me right.
    First few rides were a bit odd, lots of crashes as I kept drifting off the trail without realising it!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Vertigo’ is closed to new replies.