Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Versatile steel road/cross frame.
  • Bazz

Having recently bought a Kaffenback i’m quite enjoying the ride off it, however it is to be fair a cheap frame and far from the best, it does also appear that i’m awkwardly between sizes on them for a perfect fit.

So i was thinking that as a 40th birthday present to myself (2 years off yet but the next 18 months could be a bit uncertain job wise) that i’d get a nicer steel road/cross frame.

It must have a full mudguard capability, ideally rear rack mounts, disc mounts and canti/mini v capacity.

A couple of frames that have caught my eye are the Surly cross check and the Cotic X, could also go the custom build route but wouldn’t have a clue where to start on this front.

Any suggestions and photo’s for inspiration would be gratefully received.

steelfan
    Free Member

Soma Double Cross DC?

Soma Double Cross

or custom route Shand Stoater. Doesnt have canti mounts but im sure you could ask as a custom build.
    Shand Stoater

juan
    Free Member

Kona ROVE CX?

soma_rich
    Free Member

on one pompino?

jonba
    Free Member

something from salsa, singular, genesis or charge. All fo nice steel bikes

kcr
    Free Member

I replaced my broken road work bike recently (disc equipped) and looked at various frames. One feature that put me off some frames, like the Soma, was chain stay mounting rear discs. This seems to put the rear disk cable entry in a perfect position to collect spray off the rear wheel and the cable routing creates a u-bend above the bottom bracket where any trapped water and crud will collect. I read an account by someone who had problems with the cable freezing up in winter as a result.
    In the end I went for a Genesis Croix de Fer with a conventional seat stay mount. This probably doesn’t meet your requirement of a “nicer” steel frame, but despite not being very lightweight, I’ve found it does the job OK.

BadlyWiredDog

My Soma Double Cross DC

Not the lightest thing out there, about 25.5lb or so, but rides nicely with a bit of a spring in its step, looks proper steel-ish and I haven’t had any problems with cable’s freezing so far. Keep Pedalling in Manchester sell Soma if you’re in the NW and are nice people too.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

If you are thinking custom, have a look at our site or drop me an email to matt@18bikes.co.uk. We would be able to do whatever you want (within reason)

matt

wilhay
    Free Member

What about a gunnar ? they do a disk version now:

leffeboy
    Bazz

Thanks for the replies everyone, certainly some stuff to go through there, will no doubt keep me drooling over the keyboard for a while.

mrmo
    Free Member

If your after something steel and special have a look at a Ritchey Swiss Cross

charliedontsurf

Surly cross check or salsa vaya, both lovely.

shandcycles
    Free Member

or custom route Shand Stoater. Doesnt have canti mounts but im sure you could ask as a custom build.

we do cantis or disks, same price.

Bazz

Wow what a response, thanks everyone. Looking at all the suggestions i’m so far drawn towards the Soma DC DC, as much as i like the Shand and the Ritchey i think they are going to be outside my budget, by quite a margin unfortunately.

I’ve had a good look at all the geometry tables on the websites and for me the headtube on the Surly is a bit on the short side and the salsa a bit overbuilt, Pompino is just the same as a Kaff but without gears, i need gears. I like the look of the Kona Rove, in fact the geometry is nigh on perfect and i do have a bit of a soft spot for Kona’s anyway but i’m only after a frame and i think they only come as a complete bike.

Anyway like i said i’ve got 18 months or so until i pull the trigger so to speak so i’ll be keeping my eyes peeled and having a good hunt round.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Versatile steel road/cross frame.’ is closed to new replies.