Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ventoux and Provence
  • ormondroyd
    Free Member

Looking at doing a jaunt out there this summer, and might take in a grovelling attempt at le geant while there.

So… Road bike or mtb? What’s the general offroading like around Orange/Jonquieres/Bedouin? Will I be missing miles of beautiful singletrack if I take the road bike? If so, can you recommend a map?

djflexure

Here is a great map site – all of France down to 1:25K

http://www.geoportail.fr/en_UK/index.do?c=7.3583,48.24166&l=Scan%28100%29&z=7

Don’t know the exact area, but you can ride the GR routes so there are usually extensive trails.

I passed Ventoux on the way to Cevennes last summer. Took mtb and had a blast. Doing same again this summer. Trails in the Cevennes varied from wide machined tracks to rocky ‘paths’. Never quite knew what I was going to find from the map. Excellent road riding too so you can’t really go wrong.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I climb like a pallet of breeze blocks. Will I die?

djflexure

Yes lots of climbing.
    Many small climbs to 600m where we were last year – its was all up or down. Provence might be different.
    Having said that took my big bike and went 1×10 without problems.

crewlie

Just back from round there.Stayed at Pernes les Fontaines.
    Took the road bike, got up Ventoux the easy way, and I’m no climber either, but there was no wind and it was a cool sunny day. may be different in summer :).
    Lovely area for road biking and there looked to be miles of mountain biking there as well.
    I would live there tomorrow if I could afford it.

clubber
    Free Member

I found Ventoux tiring in the car 🙂

It’s a fantastic area though. I’d definitely bring my road bike next time – wouldn’t fancy ventoux on mtb tyres.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

My parents live in Avignon down that way, and they’ve commented how frequently I’ve been popping down there recently 🙂 Never taken the mtb as it’s too much of a slog on road to get there and back, but the road riding’s as good as road gets (without being as good as miles of singletrack).

Usually go up Ventoux about 3 times a year, and usually see a few downhillers covered in mud popping out of the bushes onto the road.

If you take the road bike, climb Ventoux via Mulhaucene (easier than Bedouin in my view), down to Sault, and then back via the Neques Gorges. Lovely long stretch of winding downhill with great views of slabs of rock. There’s tonnes of stuff down there, but bear in mind, the only way back is to ride so I wouldn’t go miles out. It’s easy to do as French tarmac is silky but then there’s the wind … wrong day and it’s murder.

Consider anywhere in the Luberon – Cavaillon to Bonnieux on carless broken tarmac. And there’s the Ardeche too.

kennyp
    Free Member

We’re staying in Bonnieux in Provence in May for a week. Any recommendations of where to hire a half decent road bike? Plan is also to take a shot at Ventoux (already preparing the excuses for the inevitable fail).

antigee

might be a bit vague but rode that way (road) last year and a bike shop in Malacene had racks and racks and of specialized (dolces) i think for hire as passed people pushing them – if you try wonders of google then shop is on Ventoux side of Malecene main shopping street just before the turn up to Ventoux as you leave town centre
    edit might need to check correct spelling Malaucene?

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers antigee, will check that out.

zbonty

I stayed in Bedouin about 5 years ago when Switchbacks (spain) had a French operation there.

Was an absolutely awesome week. Nice pad with a pool in the village and lots of stunning riding. Fast flowing singletrack aplenty. Rocky and challenging in places. We were reminiscing about it only this morning.

I think it was a difficult sell as everyone is so focussed(brainwashed?) on Port du Soleil which is not as good singletrack wise but there are lifts. We were guided and had van assist. Would’nt want to climb up every day!

If my back was’nt ruined i’d go again tomorrow..

leffeboy

If you want to ride up then just rent a road bike for the day. There are loads of shops that do it. Riding up on knobbly tyres is horribly horribly painful. The problem is that there are no spots where it flattens out so you can stretch your legs.

Comin down is nice though 🙂

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

VTOPO VTT Provence Nord Experts try this – 58 ‘extreme’ mtb routes in the Ventoux area.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ventoux and Provence’ is closed to new replies.