Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ventana El Ciclon v. Cove Hustler……..???????
  • WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

OK, I have my choice of 5″ suss frame down to 2 options:

1: Ventana El Ciclon: http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elciclon.html

or:

2: Cove Hustler: http://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/149-cove_hustler.php

Putting price aside, what are your thoughts or opinions. My tarty side is saying the Ventana, although for the balls out fun my head says the Hustler. Although the El Ciclon is supposed to be no slouch on the descents either…

Thoughts / comments welcome 🙂

andy

fivespot
    Free Member

I can only comment on the Hustler out of those two, which I rate as one of the best bikes I have owned. Also owned a 5spot (not unlike the El Ciclon) which although good, never gave me the same buzz as the Hustler. If I was to score them, 5spot 8/10, Hustler 10/10 8)

I_Ache
    Free Member

The numbers are very similar but the cove is slightly shorter in the top tube slightly slacker in the head and seat angles. On paper I would get the cove because it is a bit slacker but not too slack but I much prefer the look of the ventana. Im not a fan of the RAD tubing on the cove.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Hustlers are great; long, low, and have quite a slack headangle. If CRC are still doing them cheap then your onto a winner 😉

Think Ventana’s look great too, but was slightly put off by the two not so great reviews in MBR, although sure it would also probably be a great bike.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You need all the help you can get. Get the hustler.

HarYuken
    Free Member

Have a friend (about 11 stone and not a freerider 😉 ) who has broken 2 Hustler frames at the top tube/seat tube joint. Seatpost wasn’t too high.

If you do decide on one, check the warranty (maybe only one year).

I wouldn’t get one.

neilforrow

i have ridden both…. the Ventana is nice, you wont see another… they ride well, rear end was a little flexy for me… nice finish tho, esp’ the CNC’ed BB shell.

i own a hustler, see the ‘perfect bike thread’ cant sing its praises enough… great uphill, tough, loves to be chucked around…

but they are both great bikes… very similar design…

edit – to balance things here: HarYuken i have owned mine since 06′ I havent been gentle with it (yes i am a riding god :wink:) and had no problems.

Vortexracing

rear end was a little flexy for me

having owned 2 X5’s and whilst reading all the reviews I find it very difficult to belive that ANY Ventana FS bike is flexi.

drew

I’ve owned both bikes although I didn’t keep the el ciclon long as it was on the large side for me and I’ve only been on two rides so far with the hustler. The el ciclon is really well put together but to my mind is not particularly inspiring to ride. The cove, on the other hand, was a blast to ride at cwm carn yet felt entirely at home on a 20 mile ride on the purbecks. In between the two I’ve been riding a horst link five spot and I have to say out of the three I’d probabley plump for the cove, with the turner coming second and the ventana third.. My sons also got the cove and he rates it too.

tazzymtb

what mtb did a series of reviews on boutique frames and they really liked the ventana. Have a look on bike radar for the full gen.

On a pure “ooh that’s shiny” point of view I would have the ventana as the cove looks like it’s been welded by stephen hawking

mildred

In the flesh Ventanas always look “crafted”, whereas Cove Hustlers look like Fisher Price. This is based on absolutely nevr having ridden either bike, but had a good look. I am slso drunk.

beagle
    Free Member

Without question the Ventana. Warranty, Quality of the (hand) build, custom options, customer support and if you ever fancy a new one, they offer a nice discount via the trade in program.

I’ve ridden both BTW and struggle to see how anyone found the rear end flexy – it’s the stiffest FS bike I’ve ever ridden.

Looks stand out now with all the swoopy, hydroformed stuff of recent years. Depends if you like that or not?

I also like the fact that there are no changes for changes sake – only tweaks to the frame when they are necessary. No 09′ this 010′ that, new colours, new graphics, fonts etc, which is so common now.

Take them both for a test and let us know how you got on!

Vortexracing

Take them both for a test and let us know how you got on

If/when you do take them down some Rocky drops like in the lakes or the Peaks.

The Ventana really shines in those types of drops.

Although my mate who rides with us has a hustler, and that is no slouch down rocky stuff either.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I can’t comment on the Ventana but I’ve owned a Hustler for a bit over 2 years now. I ride a fair bit being a bike guide and I’m almost always on my Hustler. I ride a bit of everything on it from big epics to DH (athough I have a STD for the pure gravity days) and the Hustler is fantastic. It’s survived really well. I had to change the bearings at the start of this summer, they were knackered, and I’ve wrecked the shock, wheels, cranks, brakes and a set of pikes but the frame’s still going strong. I’m 82kgs and usually riding with a v. heavy rucksack full of guiding stuff, I don’t ride slowly and the trails here are pretty harsh and rocky. No issues and no complaints.

The geometry on the Hustler seems to work for me. I think that the biggest compliment to it is that when I’ve been riding my STD and come back to the Hustler it never feels like I’m constrained by the wee bike. It’s not rapid uphill but I have it built heavy (33-35lbs) with saints, big discs, big tyres, 819/823’s etc. Partly it’s slower because of the geometry, it bobs a bit and it’s quite short. Great bike though.

neilforrow

vortex, the only time i noticed any flex was on one particular corner with a rut half way round… as you came up to it, pull the front up, manual through it, so the bike was on its side, on the back wheel… the Ventana seemed to wander off line, felt like a slow flat or rear shock blowing through its travel… but the shock and tyers were fine during the rest of the ride… didn’t feel it in the cove…

I only noticed it on one particular corner… so could be down to something else… i put it down to a slighlty flexi ass end.

like I said before, both very nice bikes.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Thanks guys. All very useful information. I think I will plump for the Cove, mainly because my LBS has done a really good deal with me on it. The Ventana can wait for another year 😉

I do agree that the Ventana is a beautifully made frame, no doubt about that. I just prefer the geo on the Hustler a bit more and the fact that if any issues do arise I can just wheel it down to the LBS.

Thanks again guys.

Btw: Surrounded by Zulus (aka Smee / Glupton etc.) I thought you were banned for life from the forum??? At least you change your username more than you change your underwear lol 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ventana El Ciclon v. Cove Hustler……..???????’ is closed to new replies.