• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by vikkibanks1-spam.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Venison Wellington Xmas day, where to get the steak in Edinburgh or elsewhere..
  • rickmeister

I know its early but…

The plan for Crimbo dinner is a venison wellington, home made…. the meat packed around with stornoway award winning black pud or a good haggis… the mushrooms always are a challenge as they are damp and soak the pastry… I havn’t really cracked this so going alternative with the black pud or haggis. … The Marag Dubh is the best black pud ever.

Looking for a recommendation for a game dealer to supply a good lump of venison fillet enough for four people. We usually get our deer meat from Rothiemurchas near Aviemore, is there are good option in Edinburgh.. Thinking Crombies here… may have to order…

Any thoughts welcome…

druidh
    Free Member

Campbells – Broxburn. I’ve found them useful when buying “oversize” cuts of venison 😉
    http://www.campbellsmeat.com/products/game.cfm?CFID=2947932&CFTOKEN=86806057

Doug
    Free Member

Book me a seat, that sounds sublime.

Coyote
    Free Member

Can I be Doug’s dinner date? I’ll bring a nice bottle of red…

turin
    Free Member

mmmmmeat

this place is all you need to know 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sounds ‘nice’. Or perhaps wankiest thread of 2012?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

mmmmmeat

this place is all you need to know

Actually, really he should also know about the queues. George must be doing something right.

turin
    Free Member

i have seen the queues on Christmas eve, horrendous. But like you say people are not going to stand and wait in them if they are not happy. I often get bits and pieces from them and have never found them to be anything but mouthwattering but could never bring myself to have to be involved in the east german style queues. If you do go there, pop over the road to herbies, an aladins cave of all things good to eat, though possibly a bit pricey.

maccruiskeen

We used to go to a butchers in St Helens that was really good for venison, partly because it was farmed near by but also no one locally really bought it so it tended to be very affordable.

My mum went in on a weekend to ask for some and the saturday girl behind the looked a bit confused and shouted into the back room “Sharon – what part of the sheep is venison?” My mum had to interject and explain “Venison isn’t sheep, its deer”. A voiced shouted back through from the back room “No it is cheap, its only £1.99 per pound”

glupton1976
    Free Member

Actually, really he should also know about the queues. George must be doing something right.

Nah – I’m doing nothing right.

rickmeister

Thanks Colin…

rickmeister

Oh and thanks Turin, will check out Bowers..

ojom
    Free Member

Saundersons on Bruntsfield are good.

algarvebairn
    Free Member
    RamseyNeil
    Free Member

wellington, home made…. the meat packed around with stornoway award winning black pud or a good haggis… the mushrooms always are a challenge as they are damp and soak the pastry… I havn’t really cracked this

The trick is to first wrap the wellington in pancakes which stops the moisture from the duxelles making the pastry soggy .

orangina
    Free Member

Rubber Buccaneer, why ‘wankiest’?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Venison Wellington Xmas day, where to get the steak in Edinburgh or elsewhere..’ is closed to new replies.