Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Venice. What to do? Where to eat etc?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

What to do on a day trip to Venice? I went when I was 16 but all I remember was St Marks Square. Not remotely interested in churches so recommendations not including churches would be great. Thanks in advance.

jekkyl

You lucky devil, it’s a great place. I’ve been twice and loved it, every way you turn is a beautiful picture. Take a bank loan, everything is expensive. Go up the tower in St marks Sqaure and eat wherever you fancy that’s cheap enough. Lunch tends to be cheaper than tea/dinner so eat a better meal at lunchtime. If you want a romantic trip on a gondola grab one first thing or before 11am as the price goes up later in the day and and the availability goes down. The only downside is that the place is stuffed full of large Americans. Enjoy!

kilo

Was there a few weeks ago, I can reccomned the Hotel Cipriani :D.

One afternoon we went for a mooch around the backstreets of Giudecca, cba’ed with all the tourist stuff. Saw a bit of a different side looked around a boatyard fixing gondolas, etc so I reccomend just getting of the beaten track. Had quite a good pizza in a place just along the front on Giudecca and set back a little, locals seemed to eat there and it was good value – I understand a lot of the places in Venice are less so. The bus / boat service looks fairly good way to get around

andyl
    Free Member

Buy a pass for the ferry for as long as you are there.

If you like art then look up any exhibitions that are on while you are there. I was lucky to be there when there was a Pollock exhibition on at the Guggenheim.

I found the the island where they make the glass stuff boring. Lido is nice to get away from the crowds (we stayed on the Lido and got the ferry across each day).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Arrive very early and leave very late.

Once all the coach loads arrive is horrible in St Marks etc.

Head over to one of the islands Giudecca at busiest time for some more sedate time. Definitely worth going in the church on Giudecca. Im not religious at all but its a stunning building.

Wondering around the back streets is better than staying in the main bits.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

The biennale is on at the moment, the architecture exhibition is normally worth a look, and there are other art/cinema/theatre/dance events going on at various times. http://www.labiennale.org

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The “Secret Itinerary” tour of the Doge’s Palace is fascinating. Goes up in the roof and behind scenes where all the actual work of running the empire happened.

Café Del Doge just on the far side of the Rialto Bridge does properly great espresso if you’re into coffee.

We found decent food on Campo San Banarba and Calle Lungha San Barnaba. I don’t do fish, so it was a bit difficult finding places that could cater to me. (we were staying near Accademia, so handy for us).

Largely just walking around the place is an experience. Once you get past the tourist tat, there’s some awesome shops – the guy who makes Gondola Oars, and the chocolatier nearby come to mind. Somewhere on the west side of the Grand Canal – I could find them on the ground, but couldn’t stick a pin on the map.

I’d look at the churches too, myself. Ignore them as religious buildings by all means, but the art and architecture in them is just bonkers – the trompe l’oeil ceiling fresco in San Pantalon as an example.

Rich_s

Lovely place. We had advice to not go in summer as it pongs – turned out it doesn’t really change all year round. We loved it in November as well as June. Just mooch around – it’s fascinating! We stayed somewhere not too far from St Marks – I think it was Hotel Campiello. In summer this meant we could tootle back to the room for a bit of aircon, past all the cruise passengers melting in the sun, recharge with some grub from the shops, then head out again and enjoy the evenings when it quietens down a lot.

Didn’t do the gondolas as they seemed pricey. Cheaper to get one in the am or late pm and often from some out-of-the-way locations though.

Use the ferry to get everywhere, and don’t bother with lunch in St Marks Square – just people watch. Keep an eye on phone/wallet/etc as it’s very busy during the day everywhere.

martinhutch

As above, use the ferries, get out early to do the popular areas, then move into the bits of the city just off the main drag. It’s amazing how only a few yards from where you’re fighting through a hideous throng there are peaceful squares and streets with beautiful architecture. Look out for small bars and restaurants here.

Didn’t pong in summer when we went. Well, no more than your average Italian city with medieval drainage.

jate
    Free Member

I think the best way to experience Venice is to get away from St Marks Square and then wander round rather than having a list of sights to tick off. You’ll be amazed how quiet it gets only a few streets from St Marks, and we’ve always found one of Venice’s biggest churches (San Zanipolo) and its square almost completely deserted. I have no particular interest in churches but they are worth going into just for the bonkers architecture.
    The Guggenheim is definitely worth a visit and apparently you can finally officially visit the hospital library which has the most amazing ceiling (Mrs Jate & I talked our way into it on our honeymoon many years ago and were given a huge metal key to open the door to it).

rogermoore

Watch this series if you have time before you go. Fascinating.
    RM.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Do – wander about. St Marks, the Campanile and Doge’s Palace are the must do’s. I’d chuck in the Gran Scoula di San Rocco as well, and make a point of taking a vaporetto the length of the Grand canal, sit in the open bit at the back.
    See if you can find some tide tables – if there’s a high spring tide, try and get into St Marks and pay the extra for the balcony then watch the square flood.

Eat – food’s not great, but it’s never really bad IME

Garry_Lager

Was there recently with young family and echo what everyone else says just to walk around the place – it is unique. It’s not Liverpool or Manchester, but it’s special in its own way. If you made no plans whatsoever and just spent the day exploring, eating, and bevvying then you’ll have a great time.

We took it easy on the cultural visits, but did take in the Doge’s palace – v fine, but the kids wilted a bit, it’s quite a big tour. Kid one – head done in (he perked up when we got to the prison cells):

bear-uk
    Free Member

Bookmarked.
    I am going in 3 weeks time so please keep the idea’s flowing.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Look out for the Islamic influences throughout the city, legacy of the Silk Road.

Shred
    Free Member

Is it worth going for one night?

I’m over for the Maratona in July. I was thinking of heading down on Monday morning, parking in a secure parking(bike will be in the car), and then leave at about lunch on the Tuesday.

andyl
    Free Member

Oh and don’t forget to book a week in Torbole after and take your bike 😉 Only a few hours on the train and then a short bus ride.

twonks

The wife and I have been twice. Once in single digit temperature but bright and crisp days and once in the height of summer.

Totally different in how the place feels but either was great.

Food wise, we had the best meals in slightly harder to find places on the Lido. Just watch out for house wine prices and you’ll be ok.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I may seem a bit clichéd, but make sure you do go on a gondola ride. It really is one of the most beautiful and peaceful things I’ve ever done. If it seems too expensive then share a ride with another couple and split the cost.
    And don’t go in McDonald’s or I’ll have you killed by the taste police!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Download an app for high tide and low tide

Sandwich

Vaporetto number one from the station and ride in the front on deck. See all the grand canal and set camera motor drive to stun.
    Murano for a look at the glass manufacture.

A good wander through the backstreets on any of the islands is a fine thing. Some of the the little restaurants there (off the beaten track) are reasonably cheap for lunch.

If you sit down in St Marks for a drink it will cost but it is an experience. Using the back-street cafes for drinks? Then stand at the bar/counter, coffee is much cheaper.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Venice. What to do? Where to eat etc?’ is closed to new replies.