Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Velo solo 3/32" chainring, doesn't seem to work with my chain
  • captaindanger

I have a 9 speed chain and bought a chainring from velo solo, looks nice but the chain doesn’t fit on it, at all! It seems too thick for the chain.

Checked chain wear with the park tool Thingy and that’s fine, not yet at the 0.75% mark. Any ideas what’s happening? I’ll ring vs tomorrow, but need my bike by Saturday!

julianwilson
    Free Member

I think unless you buy a dedicated downhill ring or new-fangled 1×9/1×10 chainring, it will be narrow enough for 1/8″ chains but not 9 or 10 speed ones. VeloSolo are predominantly singlespeed/fixie products so more than likely your chainring is too wide for your chain.

Its not a bad thing for singlespeed, as wider rings are said to last longer and i am sure are less likely to fold under gurn-inducing out-of the saddle pedalling. (only seen this once but it was a proper race-ender!) If you still have a 9 speed cassette and derailleur on the back, it will be time to look for a new chainring.

Goldtec, Renthal, FSA (cheapest iirc) and e-thirteen all do proper tall toothed single rings you can also fit a 9 speed chain on.

HTH

aP
    Free Member

It won’t – you need a chainring for dérailleur chains.

rOcKeTdOg

i have a renthal chainring (they have slightly longer teeth than say sram or shimano rings) and it works with a 9 speed chain, using it 1 x 9 and chain hasn’t come off after 2 months use

julianwilson
    Free Member

aP, excellent use of the acute ‘é’. 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

3/32 should work with 9 speed chain mine does it would only be the 1/8 that doesn’t

rootes1

Goldtec, Renthal, FSA (cheapest iirc) and e-thirteen all do proper tall toothed single rings you can also fit a 9 speed chain on.

as do Blackspire etc

did you read the Velosolo site ? – their 3/32 SS MTB CR are NOT suitable for 9 speed

VeloSolo CNC Singlespeed MTB Chainring ANODIZED
    As with our road rings the VeloSolo mountain bike chainrings are precision machined from the same heat treated high strength 4.0mm thick 7075-T6 aluminium alloy for extra strength. No offset so reversible without affecting chainline for longer life.

Very stiff, very strong and very round. Teeth are hobbed the old fashioned way for superb finish and performance. Classic style with machined cut-outs on 34t and 36t. The 32t is drilled rather than ‘slotted’. Minimal lead chamfer and full height teeth with no cut-outs or ‘shift pins’ give perfect engagement with the chain. Designed for singlespeed mountain bike use; on or off-road.

Available in 4 bolt 104mm BCD and 1/8″ or 3/32″ thicknesses. Choose 1/8″ with matching 1/8″ chain for a superb long lasting and strong set-up for typical UK off-road conditions (the 1/8″ width has nearly 50% more contact area for driving the chain than the 3/32″). Available in three tooth counts of 32t, 34t and 36t. Finished in anodized black and gold or custom polished. All with laser engraved logo. Please see this page for sample weights of VS components. Please see FAQ for chainring bolt advice and how to measure BCD etc.

NOTE: VeloSolo 3/32″ chainrings have a tooth thickness of 2.3mm and are therfore NOT compatible with 9 speed or 10 speed chains.[/u]

alcooker
    Free Member

Rocketdog ‘i have a renthal chainring (they have slightly longer teeth than say sram or shimano rings) and it works with a 9 speed chain, using it 1 x 9 and chain hasn’t come off after 2 months use’

What rear cog are you using with the Renthal ring, Gusset single speed? Only ask because the Gusset rings are not supposed to work with 9 speed chains, but I want a Renthal 5/64″ and have gusset 3/32″ rear cogs, if it works for you, I’ll give it a go.

alcooker
    Free Member

Scrap my above question, totally overlooked the fact your using 9 speed rear and not SS.
    Sorry.

pixelmix
    Free Member

CD – on the off chance that it is a black 34t chainring, drop me a line and I’ll take it off your hands for a bit less than the original price.

KidCragg
    Free Member

i’ll take it if its a 32t 🙂 and u want rid

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Velo solo 3/32" chainring, doesn't seem to work with my chain’ is closed to new replies.